+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax help please

newon

Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
So i became permanent resident in end of 2019 and i lived in edmonton alberta for 3 months and my pr card wasnt mailed so i didnt found a job than i moved back in europe for family reasons for at least 7 months and got stuck cause of the covid than i decided to come back in canada 5 months ago and moved in toronto and i have been living here but still trying to find a job and still without a job,so i have been permanent resident for at least 15 months and i have lived in canada for at least 8 months now my question is this,do i have to do taxes even that i havent been all the time here and even that i havent been finding a job or working cause basically am living on my savings that i had from europe or should i wait until i find a job and than start to work on preparing taxes?

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
So i became permanent resident in end of 2019 and i lived in edmonton alberta for 3 months and my pr card wasnt mailed so i didnt found a job than i moved back in europe for family reasons for at least 7 months and got stuck cause of the covid than i decided to come back in canada 5 months ago and moved in toronto and i have been living here but still trying to find a job and still without a job,so i have been permanent resident for at least 15 months and i have lived in canada for at least 8 months now my question is this,do i have to do taxes even that i havent been all the time here and even that i havent been finding a job or working cause basically am living on my savings that i had from europe or should i wait until i find a job and than start to work on preparing taxes?
Did you received any income during the 7+ months in Europe?

From a TurboTax site...
"Individuals who fall below the minimum may still have to file a tax return under certain circumstances; for instance, if you had $400 in self-employment earnings, you'll have to file and pay self-employment tax. If you have no income, however, you aren't obligated to file. "

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When exactly did you return in 2020? Did you have any ties to Canada while you were in Europe? Any financial ties? Property? Other?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
When exactly did you return in 2020? Did you have any ties to Canada while you were in Europe? Any financial ties? Property? Other?
As mentioned above it is best for you to determine your tax status in Canada, and assess your income for the year outside of Canada. However, irrespective of those findings, it is probably best to file a tax return to determine what credit you may qualify for both federally and provincially.

newon

Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Did you received any income during the 7+ months in Europe?

From a TurboTax site...
"Individuals who fall below the minimum may still have to file a tax return under certain circumstances; for instance, if you had $400 in self-employment earnings, you'll have to file and pay self-employment tax. If you have no income, however, you aren't obligated to file. "
i had no income for years just my parents was helping me with money and i had savings from my past and i still am living on my savings so basically i am in canada but since i became a permanent resident i havent worked at all i dont have any income all i am spending is money that i had from my past before being permanent resident

newon

Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
i became permanent resident on november 2019 i left after 3 months for family reasons in end of February 2020 and i didnt worked at all i had only money from my savings and my parents was giving me money,i went in europe in end of February and got stuck and didnt want to move cause of the covid,than i decided to come back in Canada in October 2020 and i have been here for 5 months but am still waiting for a job that i have been promised lately,i repeat i came with money and am living in Ontario am paying rent and am paying my groceries and everything from money that i won years ago in my country that has to do nothing with canada and from money that my family helped me from europe,i have no property here or car or anything in canada,when i moved back now before 5 months i have made an rental agreement and i have opened a bank account with basically no money on it and i dont own anything else to be honest i just have applied for driving license so i dont have propertys or car or things like that

newon

Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
As mentioned above it is best for you to determine your tax status in Canada, and assess your income for the year outside of Canada. However, irrespective of those findings, it is probably best to file a tax return to determine what credit you may qualify for both federally and provincially.
i am in ontario and i have here for 5 months i repeat i have an rental agreement which i made it 5 months ago after i came here second i opened i bank account like months ago,and am trying to get my driving license and i dont own anything here,i havent been working at least for nearly last 3 years even when i was in europe and even when i came here so i dont have what to show government what to tell them all my spends cause i had no income at all for all the time i have been here and still i had no income for at least last year in europe before moving in canada,what am saying in europe and here last 3 years is only spends i havent had any income at all so i was like what taxes i have to file when am not having any income but all am spending is my money so even for that i have to pay taxew

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i became permanent resident on november 2019 i left after 3 months for family reasons in end of February 2020 and i didnt worked at all i had only money from my savings and my parents was giving me money,i went in europe in end of February and got stuck and didnt want to move cause of the covid,than i decided to come back in Canada in October 2020 and i have been here for 5 months but am still waiting for a job that i have been promised lately,i repeat i came with money and am living in Ontario am paying rent and am paying my groceries and everything from money that i won years ago in my country that has to do nothing with canada and from money that my family helped me from europe,i have no property here or car or anything in canada,when i moved back now before 5 months i have made an rental agreement and i have opened a bank account with basically no money on it and i dont own anything else to be honest i just have applied for driving license so i dont have propertys or car or things like that
You are likely not a tax resident then for 2020 and don't have to file taxes. It actually will likely benefit you to file taxes if you made no income at all (including Europe) last year.

newon

Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
You are likely not a tax resident then for 2020 and don't have to file taxes. It actually will likely benefit you to file taxes if you made no income at all (including Europe) last year.
so am trying to find a job and than i will file them next year,can i do both years than next year so from one year i benefit and from the other side i pay what i will made in 2021 till 2022