+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing for SUV applicant

Jenni2022

Jul 19, 2021
HI folks,

I moved to Canada in Dec 2021, and I filed my tax for the year 2021, with 0 income in canada.

Now I'm going to prepare filing tax for my husband and me by myself through HRblook.
We: have work permit under SUV program, my husband is the main applicant, so his income in 2022 is 0.
I have OWP, and I started working since April 2022, I've received T4 form, therefore I can file myself very easily. We don't have any other income in Canada,.

My QUESTIONS IS: Should I file my husband under T4 form with 0 income, or should I declare him as self-employed with also 0 income ?

I've tried self-employed, but it requests to answer many question to his company. I think all of the expenses will be filed under Business taxes, not his personal return.

I asked a friend who was SUV applicant some years ago and now already received PR. She said that she filed under T4 form with zero income when she just landed and had zero income. Is it correct filing ?

Thank you so much.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HI folks,

I moved to Canada in Dec 2021, and I filed my tax for the year 2021, with 0 income in canada.

Now I'm going to prepare filing tax for my husband and me by myself through HRblook.
We: have work permit under SUV program, my husband is the main applicant, so his income in 2022 is 0.
I have OWP, and I started working since April 2022, I've received T4 form, therefore I can file myself very easily. We don't have any other income in Canada,.

My QUESTIONS IS: Should I file my husband under T4 form with 0 income, or should I declare him as self-employed with also 0 income ?

I've tried self-employed, but it requests to answer many question to his company. I think all of the expenses will be filed under Business taxes, not his personal return.

I asked a friend who was SUV applicant some years ago and now already received PR. She said that she filed under T4 form with zero income when she just landed and had zero income. Is it correct filing ?

Thank you so much.
You both have to declare any international income. Whether you are taxed on that income depends on tax treaties with that country if you are a tax resident of Canada. If you only moved to Canada in Dec 2021 you weren’t in Canada long enough to have to file taxes.

franalmeida900

Star Member
Mar 16, 2023
I personally recommend to get a decent accountant to help if you’re really not sure? I’ve been using one for years and it costs under 400 bucks but is a huge help and gives me peace of mind. Up to you however you want to handle it but that’d be keeping things on the safe side! But I think all income needs to be reported, both Canadian and international….