+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing - first year. No response from CRA

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Hi all,

Me and my wife filed tax returns for the first time for 2020. We landed in March 2020 and my wife got a job in June. I had zero income and we filed taxes through simpletax on Feb 28-2021 and my wife is owed returns.

We received the confirmation number but I am unable to check the refund status, for my wife through any means. When we call the CRA contact number and input SIN, it says invalid.

And also because we are first time filers, there is no NETFILE or online CRA account.It is almost 8 weeks since we filed.

1) Does anyone know if it is normal for first time filers to get delayed.

2) do you think if it's possible to contact a CA and refile our taxes.

please do let me know if anyone faced or is facing the same situation.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
First time tax filers can indeed file through NETFILE. SimpleTax would have given you this opportunity.

If you filed by paper, a long detail is not impossible. I wouldn't "refile" your taxes.

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
First time tax filers can indeed file through NETFILE. SimpleTax would have given you this opportunity.

If you filed by paper, a long detail is not impossible. I wouldn't "refile" your taxes.
Thanks for your quick response.

So, because I didn't use NETFILE, it's still considered a paper application even though I submitted through simpletax? I didn't post (mail) the returns to CRA? Is that needed?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks for your quick response.

So, because I didn't use NETFILE, it's still considered a paper application even though I submitted through simpletax? I didn't post (mail) the returns to CRA? Is that needed?
Then you did use NETFILE. NETFILE is online filing. The thing you couldn't use was employer-submitted tax forms, which requires the confirmation code.

jaganv117

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
Sorry for the confusion.

I checked in the simpletax application and where they ask for NETFILE access code, I had just left blank. So I thought I didnt use NETFILE for that reason.

Also, in the end, I didnt get any errors and I have gotten the confirmation saying " You submitted your return to the CRA on February 27, 2021 at 12:34 pm" with the confirmation number.

I am assuming since I got the confirmation of submission, I didnt have to do anything else. I am just worried because of the delay in the return, that if I missed something. and its a bit frustrating because talking to a human in CRA seems almost impossible to get through any channel.