+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tax filing Advise needed - Canadian PR working in US

Achilees

Jan 25, 2018
Hi Tax Gurus,

I am a Canadian PR and in process for acquiring Citizenship (test completed, Awaiting Oath ceremony). I moved away from Canada last October. My Tax agent informed me that I can file taxes either resident or non-resident. I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons. And what is the best way to file taxes. I am also filing taxes in the US.

Please share your experiences and insights. Thanks in Advance!

wajahatid

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-11-2018
File as a non-resident. This way your income should be exempt from Income Tax in Canada as you will have earned all of it abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Tax Gurus,

I am a Canadian PR and in process for acquiring Citizenship (test completed, Awaiting Oath ceremony). I moved away from Canada last October. My Tax agent informed me that I can file taxes either resident or non-resident. I am trying to understand what are the pros and cons. And what is the best way to file taxes. I am also filing taxes in the US.

Please share your experiences and insights. Thanks in Advance!
For the 2022 tax year you were a resident. You should have called CRA when you left Canada to inform them you have left Canada and determine your tax residency status going forward. You also need to inform the provincial health agency that you have left.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
File as a non-resident. This way your income should be exempt from Income Tax in Canada as you will have earned all of it abroad.
He wouldn’t have earned the income abroad for most of 2022 so would have been resident at that time. No option to work in Canada for 10 months and not have that income count as taxable income in Canada.

Reactions: wajahatid