+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TAX ASSESSMENT FOR PR CARD RENEWAL

sushmet

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
Leon,

I will be applying for my PR card renewal and submitting my 2011 Tax Returns along with it. Actually I was resident of Canada in 2011 only for part of year. But when I filed my 2011 tax returns I got incorrectly full NON-REFUNDABLE TAX CREDITS for me and my spouse for entire year. I called CRA and told them the error. However, they are saying dont (same answer from all 3 agents) bother to correct it since my income was very low in 2011, changing NON-REFUNDABLE TAX credits will not change anything. They have corrected my GST/HST credit though (GST/HST department of CRA has corrected it based on my correct date).

Now when I submit my 2011 TAX Assessment for PR card renewal, it says my TAX center as Winnipeg (at Top), where as for all non-residents (Which is my case) the TAX center is International TAX Center in Ottawa. If CIC notices this, they may be suspicious that I am not totally honest to CRA, and it may trigger unnecessary questions from CIC/CRA etc. which I am afraid of. Also (if they notice very carefully) they might figure out that I have got credits for full year, but I was resident only for part of the year.

1. Can CIC question me on this or be suspicious?
2. Since I am NOT a student, along with 2012 tax returns I have to attach 2011 tax returns as I dont have transcripts to prove my stay in 2011
3. Can I write a letter to CIC along with my PR renewal application and state them that I have not changed my 2011 tax returns as per advise from CRA agents (I have their agent numbers)
4. Or I shall keep quiet and see what happens after I apply for PR renewal (As they may not notice this). If they notice, I dont want to unnecessarily answer the questions.

PLEASE HELP.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.