+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Talking about my landing experience - India to Toronto

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hello everyone, In the spirit of giving back to this forum, I thought I would also share my landing experience. In case anyone else has questions

1. I landed, as a single applicant, from India (via Brussels) in Toronto on Tuesday around 12pm (noon Canadian time).
  2. After disembarking from the plane, followed the signboards that led to the the arrivals/immigration section. the area is divided into two - A. US and Canada passport holders and Canada PR holders B. All other passports. There are handful airport officials who monitor, and announce on where passengers need to go.
  3. I got in the queue for all other passports where an Immigration Officer checks your customs declaration form and COPR. The customs declaration is handed to you on the plane. so if you don't get one, ask the stewardess for the same inflight. If you still don't get one on flight, these forms are available at the immigration area. It is pretty straightforward with details like name, address, contact details, flight details and the value of goods you are bringing to Canada. Take your time to read and carefully fill the details. The Officer asked me about my purpose for the visit ("complete permanent resident landing formalities"). Then she scribbled something on my declaration slip and directed me to proceed out. This part was real quick, I basically waited in queue for few seconds, and the officer took another few minutes per passenger.
  4. Upon leaving the immigration section, another officer checked my declaration form and directed me to a room. This room was empty except for a couple of border patrol officers enjoying the downtime over some huddled conversations and an Arab family at one of the counters completing their landing paperwork. I waited at the start of the queue (there was a board indicating the same) for an officer to call me. (this is a norm in Canada, everywhere you go - even at restaurants you need to wait at the door until you are acknowledged and led to an empty table).
  5. after about a few seconds, an officer motioned me over to her counter. She took my passport, COPR, and declaration form. After checking my details, she stamped my passport, scribbled across the visa and told me how the visa will now be invalid and if I needed to travel out of the country I will need to be careful and apply for another document accordingly (she was referring the the PRTD). She then asked me for a Canadian address, where my PR card would be sent to in 6-8 weeks. After inputting my details in the system, she asked me three questions - if I had any dependants, if I was convicted of any crime and if I was previously refused entry to Canada. She then asked me to sign both COPR copies in 3 places, handed me the duplicate copy of the COPR and checked if I had any questions for her. The entire process took barely 5-7 mins
  6. after which i was asked to go over to another side of the room - the Canada service centre where they provide you with a welcome book and few brochures about services, consultancy and helplines you can contact for different assistance - jobs, medicals, banking etc. At the same place another lady asked me if I wanted to get my SIN done and gave me a form to fill which they immediately fed in the system and handed me a printout with my SIN number.
  7. I was then shown the exit towards the baggage collection area, which I collected and headed towards the custom clearance. since I didnt have anything to declare or goods to follow, she took my form, said welcome to Canada with the widest grin and motioned me towards the exit.
basically the entire process from landing to stepping out of the airport took less than an hour. Hope this was helpful. I am happy to answers any questions and good luck to everyone :)

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
Really smooth. I will be landing in less than two months, but my flight is scheduled to arrive around 5AM. I was hoping to get my SIN just as you did, but I don't know about their working hours.

Santacan

Jul 8, 2018
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Hello everyone, In the spirit of giving back to this forum, I thought I would also share my landing experience. In case anyone else has questions

1. I landed, as a single applicant, from India (via Brussels) in Toronto on Tuesday around 12pm (noon Canadian time).
  2. After disembarking from the plane, followed the signboards that led to the the arrivals/immigration section. the area is divided into two - A. US and Canada passport holders and Canada PR holders B. All other passports. There are handful airport officials who monitor, and announce on where passengers need to go.
  3. I got in the queue for all other passports where an Immigration Officer checks your customs declaration form and COPR. The customs declaration is handed to you on the plane. so if you don't get one, ask the stewardess for the same inflight. If you still don't get one on flight, these forms are available at the immigration area. It is pretty straightforward with details like name, address, contact details, flight details and the value of goods you are bringing to Canada. Take your time to read and carefully fill the details. The Officer asked me about my purpose for the visit ("complete permanent resident landing formalities"). Then she scribbled something on my declaration slip and directed me to proceed out. This part was real quick, I basically waited in queue for few seconds, and the officer took another few minutes per passenger.
  4. Upon leaving the immigration section, another officer checked my declaration form and directed me to a room. This room was empty except for a couple of border patrol officers enjoying the downtime over some huddled conversations and an Arab family at one of the counters completing their landing paperwork. I waited at the start of the queue (there was a board indicating the same) for an officer to call me. (this is a norm in Canada, everywhere you go - even at restaurants you need to wait at the door until you are acknowledged and led to an empty table).
  5. after about a few seconds, an officer motioned me over to her counter. She took my passport, COPR, and declaration form. After checking my details, she stamped my passport, scribbled across the visa and told me how the visa will now be invalid and if I needed to travel out of the country I will need to be careful and apply for another document accordingly (she was referring the the PRTD). She then asked me for a Canadian address, where my PR card would be sent to in 6-8 weeks. After inputting my details in the system, she asked me three questions - if I had any dependants, if I was convicted of any crime and if I was previously refused entry to Canada. She then asked me to sign both COPR copies in 3 places, handed me the duplicate copy of the COPR and checked if I had any questions for her. The entire process took barely 5-7 mins
  6. after which i was asked to go over to another side of the room - the Canada service centre where they provide you with a welcome book and few brochures about services, consultancy and helplines you can contact for different assistance - jobs, medicals, banking etc. At the same place another lady asked me if I wanted to get my SIN done and gave me a form to fill which they immediately fed in the system and handed me a printout with my SIN number.
  7. I was then shown the exit towards the baggage collection area, which I collected and headed towards the custom clearance. since I didnt have anything to declare or goods to follow, she took my form, said welcome to Canada with the widest grin and motioned me towards the exit.
basically the entire process from landing to stepping out of the airport took less than an hour. Hope this was helpful. I am happy to answers any questions and good luck to everyone :)
Really smooth. I will be landing in less than two months, but my flight is scheduled to arrive around 5AM. I was hoping to get my SIN just as you did, but I don't know about their working hours.
Do you already have job in Canada? Or planning to start looking for a job after landing

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
don worry if u doing Toronto..by the time u r out it will be 8 am hehehe... so might make it

Reactions: arthurbr

ranjangaur4

Dec 11, 2017
What are suggestions in terms of address for PR card for family moving for the first time, with only airbnb arranged?
(and no other family members in Canada)

lvoldemort1127

Star Member
Jul 8, 2018
Category........
App. Filed.......
24-04-2018
AOR Received.
01-06-2018
I don't have any friends or relatives who currently live in Canada, any ideas about the PR address? Could I use the office address of my immigration representative?

arthurbr

Dec 6, 2017
Toronto
What are suggestions in terms of address for PR card for family moving for the first time, with only airbnb arranged?
I don't have any friends or relatives who currently live in Canada, any ideas about the PR address? Could I use the office address of my immigration representative?
I'd like to know that too. I've seen some people using their AirBnB's addresses while others opt to inform the address later.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Even I would like to know about the PR address and what did you say for purpose for the visit? Permanent Residency?

JSSJMD22

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018

Great efforts sharing this with group. Thank you !!

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
I read somewhere that the working hours for the service centre are 8:30-5:30 so i had planned my landing accordingly. if you don't get them then there are lot of service centres across town where you can walk in and get it done within few minutes. safe & happy landing!

Reactions: arthurbr

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
I stayed with friends so I gave their address. AirBnb is not the most reliant especially if you don't know the owners personally. (god forbid the PR card gets misplaced in your absence). however many have given airbnb/hotel as temporary address on landing and then informed CiC about change in address when they find something more permanent. PR card takes about 6-8 weeks from day of landing, so you have that window to finalise an address.

Reactions: ranjangaur4

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
I'd like to know that too. I've seen some people using their AirBnB's addresses while others opt to inform the address later.
you have to provide a temporary Canada address at the time of landing as that is what they fill in the system as well as on the SIN printout. I checked with them and they said I could raise a request to revise it at any time (since I told them this was a temporary address of a friend with whom I would stay for couple days)

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
yes you can use the office address of your immigrant representative (assuming its in canada) and he/she is ok collecting it and passing it on to you. a friend of mine gave her lawyers Canadian address and i was able to collect it from him since he was not comfortable to courier/post it.