+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking the citizenship ceremony outside of Canada

titikam

Nov 13, 2021
Hi, My citizenship ceremony is schedule for December 30th and I will be outside of Canada during that time. In the IRCC website it mentions to email them a detailed explanation about being outside of Canada during that time. I was wondering if anyone tried contacting them through email and had luck with taking the Online ceremony outside Canada? Also if anyone can provide me their email? Apprently the email is attached to the letter of invitation! Thank you!

"P.S: I do not want to reschedule, because I know It will take years for them to reschedule"

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hi, My citizenship ceremony is schedule for December 30th and I will be outside of Canada during that time. In the IRCC website it mentions to email them a detailed explanation about being outside of Canada during that time. I was wondering if anyone tried contacting them through email and had luck with taking the Online ceremony outside Canada? Also if anyone can provide me their email? Apprently the email is attached to the letter of invitation! Thank you!

"P.S: I do not want to reschedule, because I know It will take years for them to reschedule"
I don't think it's possible to take the oath outside Canada because during the oath ceremony, you need to cut the PR card in half......

Reactions: bellaluna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the same question as u do. I noticed the website says the outside canada oath ceremony as well.
You won't be given the option of taking the oath outside of Canada. You will either have to postpone your oath or return to Canada to take your oath as currently scheduled.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You won't be given the option of taking the oath outside of Canada. If you contact IRCC and let them know you'll be outside of Canada at the time of the oath, they will reschedule your oath.

If you want to avoid rescheduling, then return to Canada in time to take the oath.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

Why don't you try it? Send to them a webform saying that you are outside Canada but you don't want to postpone/reschedule it. If they say you can take it from outside Canada, then take it, if they say you cannot, they you come back to Canada and take it. If you cannot come back to Canada, then reschedule it.

anton1990

Champion Member
Dec 22, 2015
North Battleford
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-04-2016
Nomination.....
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
11-07-2016
Med's Request
02-05-2017
Med's Done....
09-05-2017
Passport Req..
08-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2017
LANDED..........
14-01-2018
Not trying to be judgemental, but why do people need citizenship if they live abroad?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I totally understand the reason. But I did see the website and it mentioned to reply “outside canada oath ceremony “ blablabla. I am confused here.
Are you talking about this website?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html

There’s zero indication that they’ll actually administer the oath while you’re outside Canada. Pretty sure all they’ll do is ask when you expect to return to Canada and reschedule your oath. If they actually allow the oath to be done outside Canada, then I’ll stand corrected. No way they’ll leave PR cards and citizenship certificates to mail systems with varying efficiencies.

Reactions: Sweetcandyyy

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Not trying to be judgemental, but why do people need citizenship if they live abroad?
Being outside of Canada doesn't mean we live abroad. For my case for instance, the oath ceremony might fall during my vacation time and I may be outside the country at that time, so I was wondering the same as OP.

Another consideration is that when you become Canadian citizen, if I am not wrong you will need a Canadian passport to leave/enter the country. So if you leave Canada as a PR, no problem, but coming back you are supposed to show a Canadian passport.

I believe it's best to inform IRCC that we are out of the country during the said period of time. By wanting to "save" time, we might be creating bigger problems and delays. My 2 cents.

Sweetcandyyy

Feb 7, 2021
Are you talking about this website?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/citizenship.html

There’s zero indication that they’ll actually administer the oath while you’re outside Canada. Pretty sure all they’ll do is ask when you expect to return to Canada and reschedule your oath. If they actually allow the oath to be done outside Canada, then I’ll stand corrected. No way they’ll leave PR cards and citizenship certificates to mail systems with varying efficiencies.
Yes. That’s the website I was talking about. So it doesn’t make any sense the website mentions about the outside canada oath ceremony o_O

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yes. That’s the website I was talking about. So it doesn’t make any sense the website mentions about the outside canada oath ceremony o_O
The same webpage mentions "You need to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship."

The suggested subject line “Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship”, where you seem to be drawing your conclusions from, is simply poorly worded, and honestly not a first for IRCC.