+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking online classes from outside Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Some can and some can't.
But even the Canadian government is telling people not to travel.
There are very few countries where travel. wasn't possible International students protested and demanded the right to come to Canada even if they were studying online. Canada's directions were that nobody should do any non-essential travel. It would be up to you to determine whether you studied online from your home country or whether you came to Canada knowing that you are required to be in Canada for half of your studies. If you can prove there was a complete ban on travel outside your home country for the past year then you would likely be given an exception but I'm not sure whether that situation exists. If so it is likely a remote island.

QWERTYKING

Star Member
May 16, 2019
There are very few countries where travel. wasn't possible International students protested and demanded the right to come to Canada even if they were studying online. Canada's directions were that nobody should do any non-essential travel. It would be up to you to determine whether you studied online from your home country or whether you came to Canada knowing that you are required to be in Canada for half of your studies. If you can prove there was a complete ban on travel outside your home country for the past year then you would likely be given an exception but I'm not sure whether that situation exists. If so it is likely a remote island.
I understand.
I am from Hong Kong and there was never a ban on travel to/from Canada.
I think a lot of student are going to be pissed that they are going to lose 30 points just because they made call to stay at home for their safety.

But as wonderbly said "They are saying even if you were in Canada and was forced to study online due to the school closure, you still would NOT qualify for the CRS points if more than 50% of your study was online while INSIDE Canada! "

Even if did come to Canada from the time my course started and was online (September 2020), I would loose my 30 points.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I understand.
I am from Hong Kong and there was never a ban on travel to/from Canada.
I think a lot of student are going to be pissed that they are going to lose 30 points just because they made call to stay at home for their safety.

But as wonderbly said "They are saying even if you were in Canada and was forced to study online due to the school closure, you still would NOT qualify for the CRS points if more than 50% of your study was online while INSIDE Canada! "

Even if did come to Canada from the time my course started and was online (September 2020), I would loose my 30 points.
Yep. This is the continuation of the previous tweets I posted above:

Mecheh

Nov 2, 2020
Hi,
I have admission for Fall 2021 and I received my study permit.
Because all my courses are online,I want to study from my home country(outside of Canada) and come to Canada in winter 2021.
Is it ok? Is there any problem from immigration side?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi,
I have admission for Fall 2021 and I received my study permit.
Because all my courses are online,I want to study from my home country(outside of Canada) and come to Canada in winter 2021.
Is it ok? Is there any problem from immigration side?
It's ok. To qualify for PGWP and be able to claim CRS points you need to ensure that you are in Canada for Winter 2022 session.