+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking new born baby to Canada

jerryantony

Feb 2, 2011
Hi,
We landed in Canada on 2009 May and completed landing formalities for PR and came back to India after 2 weeks.My second baby born on March 2010 in India and now we are planning to go back to Canada permanently. What is the best way to take our daughter also along with us. All documentations and forum mentioning about sponsoring daughter after reaching Canada. Since she is just 10 moths old , we can't leave her in India and go. Can we apply for Visiting visa for her and take along with us and apply for PR for her after reaching Canada.Will we get Visiting visa for her for this reason? Did anybody face the same situation? Please share, waiting for your valuable inputs.

Jerry

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jerryantony said:
Hi,
We landed in Canada on 2009 May and completed landing formalities for PR and came back to India after 2 weeks.My second baby born on March 2010 in India and now we are planning to go back to Canada permanently. What is the best way to take our daughter also along with us. All documentations and forum mentioning about sponsoring daughter after reaching Canada. Since she is just 10 moths old , we can't leave her in India and go. Can we apply for Visiting visa for her and take along with us and apply for PR for her after reaching Canada.Will we get Visiting visa for her for this reason? Did anybody face the same situation? Please share, waiting for your valuable inputs.

Jerry
1. You can try for a TRV, but it is unlikely to be issued, as it is the intention to remain permanently in Canada rather than visit. There is a TRP (permit) but even harder to get. I think that you will find that one of you will have to return to Canada and sponsor the child.

Wells Dad

Star Member
Jan 28, 2011
We are doing something similar, our daughter was born in the US Oct. 21st, and we are hoping to permanently live in Canada. I'm sponsoring my American wife, I'm Canadian.

Question - is one of you a Canadian citizen, or not? We had it easier, because I'm Canadian we can just apply for a "proof of citizenship card" for her and that's about it.

Other than that, I don't know how it goes to sponsor an infant. I would hope they would have different rules when an infant is involved, as it's obvious an infant shouldn't be away from the parents, and to leave one parent back in India while waiting for the sponsorship could be considered a hardship on the family.

Anyone else have better thoughts than mine? ::)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Wells Dad said:
We are doing something similar, our daughter was born in the US Oct. 21st, and we are hoping to permanently live in Canada. I'm sponsoring my American wife, I'm Canadian.

Question - is one of you a Canadian citizen, or not? We had it easier, because I'm Canadian we can just apply for a "proof of citizenship card" for her and that's about it.

Other than that, I don't know how it goes to sponsor an infant. I would hope they would have different rules when an infant is involved, as it's obvious an infant shouldn't be away from the parents, and to leave one parent back in India while waiting for the sponsorship could be considered a hardship on the family.

1. They are PRs neither a citizen.
2. It maybe a hardship, but that is the way it works.

lorona

Feb 1, 2011
Wells Dad said:

Have you applied for citizenship for your daughter? Did Immigration ask for DNA tests on your newborn?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lorona said:
Have you applied for citizenship for your daughter? Did Immigration ask for DNA tests on your newborn?
1. Why? Neither parent is a citizen please read their original post.
2. Why would they need DNA, unless there is some doubt as the parentage of the child and they haven't applied yet.

jerryantony

Feb 2, 2011
Thank you for the reply...

We are PR holders not Canadian Citizens.Our daughter born after we get the PR and we all are at India now. We are planning to go back to Canada in order to maintain the PR status.. I was planning to apply for Visiting Visa for my daughter, but the purpose of visiting Visa and the actual purpose is contradicting.. Is there any special provision to get Visiting Visa or any other visa for infants ...

Jerry

Wells Dad

Star Member
Jan 28, 2011
I've found a little more info that you might find helpful......this is a post from a different forum, I'll copy it here for you.

"This post is our experience in bringing our infant daughter, who was born out of Canada, to Canada.

My wife and myself became PRs in 2002 and left Canada after a short stay. We have just moved back to Toronto after spending time in Dubai, the UAE, during which our daughter was born.

As a PR cannot apply to sponsor a child while residing out of Canada, we had to apply for a visa for our daughter to enter Canada.

We had to provide the following to the Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi:

1/. Proof of dispatch of personal effects to Canada.

2/. Cancellation of my daughter's, my wife's and my own UAE residence visas.

3/. Purchase of one-way tickets to Toronto.

4/. Proof that my wife and myself fulfilled the residency obligation for a PR on the date of our intended return to Canada.

Only then did the Canadian Embassy, Abu Dhabi issue a 'Temporary Resident Permit' (as opposed to a Temporary Resident Visa for short-term visitors).

This visa which they also variously referred to as a 'Minister's Permit' and a 'Travel Document', was issued for the specific purpose of further applying for a permanent resident visa for my daughter once all three of us had resumed residence in Canada.

I hope this information is of use of those in a similar situation

----hope this proves helpful to your situation, Jerry.