+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking my leased cars to Canada from the USA

Capsho

Jul 9, 2019
Hello,

Now that my COPR is here, I plan to move to Canada next month. I have couple of cars that are on loan and the lender is willing to extend my loan across the border.

My question is that will this affect anything with my landing process since the cars are on loan. While completing the PR application I did not have the car and hence did not fill any info at that point.

Would really appreciate help from someone who has gone through this process.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Hello,

Now that my COPR is here, I plan to move to Canada next month. I have couple of cars that are on loan and the lender is willing to extend my loan across the border.

My question is that will this affect anything with my landing process since the cars are on loan. While completing the PR application I did not have the car and hence did not fill any info at that point.

Would really appreciate help from someone who has gone through this process.
I am not sure you can buy insurance in Canada for US registered vehicles. You might want to check into that.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Search for car import process on this forum. You will have to first export it from the US and then import it into Canada. Next, you can register it in Canada and then drive there long term.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Search for car import process on this forum. You will have to first export it from the US and then import it into Canada. Next, you can register it in Canada and then drive there long term.
OP indicated that the cars are leased. As a lessee, OP cannot change the registrations.