+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking kids that don't go to canada to doctor- HELP

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hi everyone,

They are asking my husband to take his kid to the doctor for medical check... The mom of the kid has custody. We are able to take kid to the doctor... BUT, they ask for PASSPORT as identification. The kid has 3 years old and doesn't own a passport... And getting one is something imaginable because mom of the kid will never agree, and moreover will think we are in a process of bringing the kid to Canada.

Anyone would have an alternative? We can bring the kid to the doctor, but impossible to get a passport as anyway he won't even been travelling.

Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Typically they want a piece of ID that has applicant's photo, so passport is the most common.

However you can try showing the doctor this. Seems an original birth certificate may be a suitable substitute for passport for minors: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/index.asp#chap4.1.2
4.1.2 Identity documents
The client must submit a passport or other identification document acceptable for the Canadian Immigration medical examination. All documents must be valid (not expired).

Approved identification documents include the following:

• Original passport or a copy of passport certified by a Canadian Visa Office
  • National ID Card (an original Birth Certificate is an acceptable national ID document for minors under the age of consent only.)
  • Driver’s licence (in Canada only)
  • Refugee travel document
  • Red Cross travel document
  • UN laissez-passer
  • Seaman’s Book
  • Organization of American States travel document
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document

Last edited:

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you!!! Because we call the doctor trying to explain...asking if we could give a birth certificate or any other documents that could certify the identity and he said ''i wont do any exam, get the passport''

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If there is no picture ID the doctor may feel that in order to prevent fraud a passport is the only thing he/she finds acceptable. Since the doctor is certifying the information it is probably his choice to demand a form of photo ID.

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
I called CIC. I said what is the procedure to do the exam only with Birth Certificate for minor, it is impossible to have passport for us.

They were not familiar with thic fact... checked in the Handbook....they said to me ''it is possible to present a birth certificate to do the medical test, but it's not possible to identify the kid with a birth certificate for the test. So at the end you cant really bring a birth certificate'' Which is not really exact to what it's written... I guess the information in this 2013 Handbook is out of date!

We already perform the medical test. But we will be obligate to sign the paper saying that the kid will never be allowed to go to canada just becuse we can't get him a passport.