+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Taking CPA courses on a PGWP

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

can someone who’s been in a similar situation please help me out!!

I’m going to be starting some CPA PEP courses soon and these courses will last for 4-5 months. I’m on a PGWP currently, but my PGWP says that I’m not allowed to take professional training courses unless authorized. As CPA Ontario is not listed as a DLI, I won’t be able to get a study permit for this anyways. Can someone please advise if I can study for less than 6 months, even with the restriction on my work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

can someone who’s been in a similar situation please help me out!!

I’m going to be starting some CPA PEP courses soon and these courses will last for 4-5 months. I’m on a PGWP currently, but my PGWP says that I’m not allowed to take professional training courses unless authorized. As CPA Ontario is not listed as a DLI, I won’t be able to get a study permit for this anyways. Can someone please advise if I can study for less than 6 months, even with the restriction on my work permit?
If the full program is less than 6 months you can study with your PGWP.

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
If the full program is less than 6 months you can study with your PGWP.
Yes, the course starts in May and I have a final exam in September, which makes the full program (4-5 months). So will the less than 6 months rule apply to me even though my PGWP mentions I’m not allowed to take courses unless authorized?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, the course starts in May and I have a final exam in September, which makes the full program (4-5 months). So will the less than 6 months rule apply to me even though my PGWP mentions I’m not allowed to take courses unless authorized?
Courses under 6 months don't count.

IanCSC

Jan 3, 2021
No, you can't CPA PEP is a 2-year part-time program(it doesn't matter each session is less than 6 months, so long as you didn't drop out from the program). you need a study permit for the CPA to be legal.

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
No, you can't CPA PEP is a 2-year part-time program(it doesn't matter each session is less than 6 months, so long as you didn't drop out from the program). you need a study permit for the CPA to be legal.
Hi, the total length of the program that is left for me is less than 6 months. I completed a graduate diploma program while I was on a study permit which exempted me from the Core 1, core 2 and elective modules. I have the capstone 1, 2 and CFE modules left to complete which will take me about 5 months (May to September) to complete with CPA. Would I still need a study permit?

IanCSC

Jan 3, 2021
Hi, the total length of the program that is left for me is less than 6 months. I completed a graduate diploma program while I was on a study permit which exempted me from the Core 1, core 2 and elective modules. I have the capstone 1, 2 and CFE modules left to complete which will take me about 5 months (May to September) to complete with CPA. Would I still need a study permit?
You will need:
1. No condition on the work permit disallows you from taking courses.
2. You need the final result or official completion letter of the program received before the 6 months ticking ends. You will need to know exactly how the CPA defines the end of the program, if getting a CPA is the end of the program, you could be in trouble( even if it is a work component, you will still need a study permit to cover it since it is part of a program, this is from paid consultation very few people know).

Regardless of the length, it is recommended to get a study permit anyway.

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
You will need:
1. No condition on the work permit disallows you from taking courses.
2. You need the final result or official completion letter of the program received before the 6 months ticking ends. You will need to know exactly how the CPA defines the end of the program, if getting a CPA is the end of the program, you could be in trouble( even if it is a work component, you will still need a study permit to cover it since it is part of a program, this is from paid consultation very few people know).

Regardless of the length, it is recommended to get a study permit anyway.
But CPA Ontario is not a DLI. As I will not be issued a study permit in this case, what are my options? Can I still study for the 5 months without a study permit?

IanCSC

Jan 3, 2021
But CPA Ontario is not a DLI. As I will not be issued a study permit in this case, what are my options? Can I still study for the 5 months without a study permit?
Given "CPA Ontario is not a DLI", you are not eligible to study in this school for even one minute.

djohne

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
You can get a study permit even if it's not a DLI. This is my knowledge. However, to complete or partake in the CPA or any prep you need a study permit

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
You can get a study permit even if it's not a DLI. This is my knowledge. However, to complete or partake in the CPA or any prep you need a study permit
Tell your "knowledge" he's very wrong

What is a study permit?
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html

djohne

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Tell your "knowledge" he's very wrong

What is a study permit?
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit.html
HAHAHA, it was based on something I read when I saw the post. thanks for the correction

jolofugi

Star Member
Apr 12, 2019
Category........
FSW
Hi! Can you share what graduate diploma program you took and from which school in ON? Thanks!

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
My Question is:
1. are you worry that this might affect your Permanent Residence application?
2. How would they figure out if you dont tell them that you did CPA program while on PGWP? When you apply for PR, as far as I know you just need to submit your transcript and your proof of employment.

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Unless you do it with CPAWSB who does requires a study permit, CPA Ontario does not require a study permit for both of their PREP and PEP. I dont see any way you are gonna have trouble for the PR application when there is no need for you to mention about your CPA when you apply for it. I know many of my friends who did CPA with CPAOntario while having PGWP and got PR without any problem.