+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TA/RA experience for FSW

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
Asking for a friend, I know TA/RA experience can count towards FSW but not CEC, and this post is asking specifically for FSW.

My friend had a 5 year PhD degree in US, with paid TA/RA experience throughout the whole degree, but there are a few months gap in summer though. In US, TA/RA weekly working hours are standard 20 hours/week. He doesn't have any other work experience but wants to apply for Canadian PR under FSW in near future.

There are a few risks I like to hear you guys' opinions:
  1. If his only work experience is from TA/RA, will the application be rejected?
  2. If all his TA/RA (as work experience in this case) are within his PhD degree timeframe, will a VO accept this? Or consider this as double counting or part of degree requirement?
  3. There are a few months of summer breaks during this whole TA/RA experience, but he said their department dean is willing to write a letter simply stating "He is working as a TA/RA from 2015/XX - 2020/XX, 20 hours/week", because they don't bother to figure those exact gaps. Will this cause any problems? Will a VO look at every single pay slip for each week/month?

allencc1989

Star Member
Jun 26, 2019
Asking for a friend, I know TA/RA experience can count towards FSW but not CEC, and this post is asking specifically for FSW.

My friend had a 5 year PhD degree in US, with paid TA/RA experience throughout the whole degree, but there are a few months gap in summer though. In US, TA/RA weekly working hours are standard 20 hours/week. He doesn't have any other work experience but wants to apply for Canadian PR under FSW in near future.

There are a few risks I like to hear you guys' opinions:
  1. If his only work experience is from TA/RA, will the application be rejected?
  2. If all his TA/RA (as work experience in this case) are within his PhD degree timeframe, will a VO accept this? Or consider this as double counting or part of degree requirement?
  3. There are a few months of summer breaks during this whole TA/RA experience, but he said their department dean is willing to write a letter simply stating "He is working as a TA/RA from 2015/XX - 2020/XX, 20 hours/week", because they don't bother to figure those exact gaps. Will this cause any problems? Will a VO look at every single pay slip for each week/month?
It might be viewed as misrepresentation if you choose not to disclose it and the immigration officer somehow find out.Since it is required that the working experience has to be paid for claiming points. I‘m also using my RA experience during my PhD while applying through EE, there were two months in my RA experience which my department didn’t pay me on those months on time due to later rehire submission from department, they paid me the following months and I were still employed during those two months,however, in order to avoid misrepresentation, I still choose to disclose it in my LOE along with an explanation letter from HR department. So if you ARE not paid during anytime in your working experience while you still try to make IRCC officer to believe you are paid. That is misrepresentation and could cause severe consequences.

Reactions: dreaded fear

SakuBj

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Can someone with spousal sponsorship. Refusal apply for express entry program? Or they can only apply again through spousal sponsorship?

dreaded fear

Dec 4, 2022
It might be viewed as misrepresentation if you choose not to disclose it and the immigration officer somehow find out.Since it is required that the working experience has to be paid for claiming points. I‘m also using my RA experience during my PhD while applying through EE, there were two months in my RA experience which my department didn’t pay me on those months on time due to later rehire submission from department, they paid me the following months and I were still employed during those two months,however, in order to avoid misrepresentation, I still choose to disclose it in my LOE along with an explanation letter from HR department. So if you ARE not paid during anytime in your working experience while you still try to make IRCC officer to believe you are paid. That is misrepresentation and could cause severe consequences.
Hi mate,
Were you successful in using your ra/ta work experience in Canada for FSW?