+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Syrian wanting a study permit?

samasaliba

Jun 7, 2018
Hey guys.

I am a Syrian residing in the Gulf, where I lived my entire life. I graduated from the UK and came back to work for 2 years. I am now wanting to apply for a Canadian study permit for graduate studies, as a Syrian, I am discouraged as I cannot provide ties to my home country (obviously per the situation.)

It is important to note that I am a genuine student and plan to return to my country of residence where I have lived my entire life. I will be applying through the Abu Dhabi consulate. Any Syrians out there? Have you guys gotten the study permit? Or anyone has any tips in general? I am trying to stay positive but I am also very anxious.

Thank you!

Reactions: Nagam

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys.

I am a Syrian residing in the Gulf, where I lived my entire life. I graduated from the UK and came back to work for 2 years. I am now wanting to apply for a Canadian study permit for graduate studies, as a Syrian, I am discouraged as I cannot provide ties to my home country (obviously per the situation.)

It is important to note that I am a genuine student and plan to return to my country of residence where I have lived my entire life. I will be applying through the Abu Dhabi consulate. Any Syrians out there? Have you guys gotten the study permit? Or anyone has any tips in general? I am trying to stay positive but I am also very anxious.

Thank you!
Hi there,

I am not a Syrian but IMHO I think you will be fine.

You have been to the UK as a student, graduated from there and returned to the UAE after your studies which a solid proof of being a genuine student.

The Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi is well aware of the situation in Syria so there is no reason to refuse your application on grounds related to nationality.

As long as your proposed field of studies is related to your undergrad degree and/or work experience, you would have strong chances of having your application approved plus of course sufficient funds.

What's your background by the way and which school are you planning to go to?

Good luck!

Reactions: Hew123

samasaliba

Jun 7, 2018
Hi there,

I am not a Syrian but IMHO I think you will be fine.

You have been to the UK as a student, graduated from there and returned to the UAE after your studies which a solid proof of being a genuine student.

The Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi is well aware of the situation in Syria so there is no reason to refuse your application on grounds related to nationality.

As long as your proposed field of studies is related to your undergrad degree and/or work experience, you would have strong chances of having your application approved plus of course sufficient funds.

What's your background by the way and which school are you planning to go to?

Good luck!

Hello!

Thank you for your reply! I hope to get approved, however, while I am able to establish my ties to my country of residence, my ties to my home country is a bit tricky. I do not really plan on living in Syria anytime soon, and so, maybe they will consider this as a red-flag because residency in the gulf is not permanent for expats?

I'm a Syrian and I am wanting to study a Master's degree for the same course I studied in the UK (law). (I'm choosing Canada this time for a new experience, to have a competitive edge from two countries, it's cheaper and not to mention I really like the course in Dalhousie) Will they refuse me on the grounds that they don't accept why I'm coming to Canada since I can do the same course in the UK where I previously studied?

I am really nervous. I am really excited to continue my studies in Canada but I fear my passport will hinder me from my academic dreams. I am a genuine student and I have absolutely zero plans of remaining in Canada, I hope they are able to get past my passport and see that! I didn't want to stay in the UK either, or any country outside the gulf for that manner lol

Last edited:

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,

I would recommend you visit the following link to familiarize yourself with the review process of your application:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/assessing-application.html

You have answered the most common question asked during a visa interview, they usually ask why Canada? (I'm choosing Canada this time for a new experience, to have a competitive edge from two countries, it's cheaper and not to mention I really like the course in Dalhousie)

This makes complete sense to me.

You have a strong case my friend and I would be very surprised if your study visa application is refused.

As long as you can demonstrate that you are a genuine student, and intend to move back to UAE after your studies you will be fine. (I note that UAE is not your home country) but I assume you still have family in UAE? so you would meet the "family ties" requirement.

Go ahead and apply for your program, get the acceptance letter and apply for your study permit. Don't worry too much. You will get it.

Good luck!

Dolphinfranta

Jun 13, 2018
Hey there.. I am also Syrian residing in Dubai. I have submitted my study permit application for undergrad at Dalhousie 3 days ago! I am really nervous as well. You pretty much described my whole dilemma. I will let you know when I get any updates. I am also considering the UK and in the process of applying for a visa. Do you believe it is easier to obtain a UKVI visa? Please let me know and give me any advice that you think I might find useful! I am sorry that I am asking for help rather than providing it xD

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Hey there.. I am also Syrian residing in Dubai. I have submitted my study permit application for undergrad at Dalhousie 3 days ago! I am really nervous as well. You pretty much described my whole dilemma. I will let you know when I get any updates. I am also considering the UK and in the process of applying for a visa. Do you believe it is easier to obtain a UKVI visa? Please let me know and give me any advice that you think I might find useful! I am sorry that I am asking for help rather than providing it xD
Hey guys.

Thank you!
Hey guys, what was the decision of your applications? I am wondering as my brother is on the same boat!

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Marhaba!

Fellow Syrian here living in Dubai my entire life, 21 years. I’m sharing my profile and timeline with you guys! Let me know how your visa journey goes!

Here’s my profile:

IELTS — 8.0
BSc Civil Engineering — 3.2/4.0
Letter of Acceptance for MEng (Civil Engineering), University of Windsor

Here’s my timeline:

September 5 — Applied online for Study Permit
September 7 — Acknowledgement Email
September 28 — CIC Update for Biometrics at VFS Dubai
September 29 — Completed Biometrics
September 29 — Biometrics Appeared on CIC

I’ll let you know how things go!

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Marhaba!

Fellow Syrian here living in Dubai my entire life, 21 years. I’m sharing my profile and timeline with you guys! Let me know how your visa journey goes!

Here’s my profile:

IELTS — 8.0
BSc Civil Engineering — 3.2/4.0
Letter of Acceptance for MEng (Civil Engineering), University of Windsor

Here’s my timeline:

September 5 — Applied online for Study Permit
September 7 — Acknowledgement Email
September 28 — CIC Update for Biometrics at VFS Dubai
September 29 — Completed Biometrics
September 29 — Biometrics Appeared on CIC

I’ll let you know how things go!
Any update mate?

Dirki

Aug 2, 2018
United Arab Emirates
Yes. Rejected.

Reasons:
- current immigration status in country of residence
- purpose of visit
- employment prospects in country of residence
- employment history

Will keep trying to reapply as I have plenty of time ahead.

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Yes. Rejected.

Reasons:
- current immigration status in country of residence
- purpose of visit
- employment prospects in country of residence
- employment history

Will keep trying to reapply as I have plenty of time ahead.
In Summary, they are not giving study permits to Syrians.

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
That is simply ignorant and not true. Many of my friends are Syrian and have obtained study permits. I also know a few Palestinians too. Don't be fooled.
My friend, language, please. I am not being fooled here, I am talking about all the students I know that were rejected.

Please check again whether those permits for Syrians (that has no other nationality), which you mentioned, were given after or before 2017.

P.S. I will be so happy if I am wrong. One positive case will give hope to many students.

bbb_69

Sep 13, 2018
My friend, language, please. I am not being fooled here, I am talking about all the students I know that were rejected.

Please check again whether those permits for Syrians (that has no other nationality), which you mentioned, were given after or before 2017.

P.S. I will be so happy if I am wrong. One positive case will give hope to many students.
Sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying to prove my point.
As for your concern, I personally know these people and they received their permits this year, and no they don't hold any other passports.

This is a study permit, and as the name implies, it is all about pursuing education. I'm sure that Canada isn't ignorant to reject people from pursuing their dreams on the grounds of their nationalities. Sure, it is definitely harder for people of certain nations to obtain a permit but all you have to do is prove that you are a genuine student in addition to proving that you'll not be overstaying in the country illegally as the country does not want to compromise itself.

As for the fellow member who recently got rejected, I suggest they obtain the visa officer's notes from gcms or caips, it will note the exact basis of rejection. The notes that are provided are usually meaningless and provide no information.

vorador

Star Member
Aug 25, 2018
Sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying to prove my point.
As for your concern, I personally know these people and they received their permits this year, and no they don't hold any other passports.

This is a study permit, and as the name implies, it is all about pursuing education. I'm sure that Canada isn't ignorant to reject people from pursuing their dreams on the grounds of their nationalities. Sure, it is definitely harder for people of certain nations to obtain a permit but all you have to do is prove that you are a genuine student in addition to proving that you'll not be overstaying in the country illegally as the country does not want to compromise itself.

As for the fellow member who recently got rejected, I suggest they obtain the visa officer's notes from gcms or caips, it will note the exact basis of rejection. The notes that are provided are usually meaningless and provide no information.
The issue is not with Canadians but with those who go on a study permit of Tourism visas and ask for asylum. That's when a visa become harder for a certain nation. I believe you know this piece of information already.

Anyway, I am so happy with the news you brought me that you know people who got accepted personally. I would really like to know the breakpoint where they accept or reject the visa. My brother will be going to college next year. I am going on EE and I would want him to go and study in Canada.

Please keep us updated with your application. If ever you know, how those guys made the Visa officer feel secure about approving this visa please do let me know. Obviously, some good cash in the bank and employment letters of the father are no more that valuable.