+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

switching from work to visitor while waiting PR via sponsership

mask8

Aug 11, 2013
Hi, my wife is currently working in Canada as a temporary worker and I am sponsoring her for PR. We applied PR outside of Canada and just got my sponsorship approved last year. Her visa is valid til late 2014 with the current work permit but she wants to quit her job as she's having issues at work.

I'd like to know if it is possible to switch her work visa to visitor status so we can stay together in Canada and also travel to outside sometimes. Her employer mentions that they will cancel her permit as soon as she quits.(Actually they did for other employees before)

Is it a safe call to obtain a visitor visa for her or will CIC possibly reject it for any reason? Thank you for your help in advance

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
mask8 said:
Hi, my wife is currently working in Canada as a temporary worker and I am sponsoring her for PR. We applied PR outside of Canada and just got my sponsorship approved last year. Her visa is valid til late 2014 with the current work permit but she wants to quit her job as she's having issues at work.

I'd like to know if it is possible to switch her work visa to visitor status so we can stay together in Canada and also travel to outside sometimes. Her employer mentions that they will cancel her permit as soon as she quits.(Actually they did for other employees before)

Is it a safe call to obtain a visitor visa for her or will CIC possibly reject it for any reason? Thank you for your help in advance
This depends partly on her nationality. They'll look at your ability to support her, or her ability to support herself without working.

If you want to do this, I believe this is done by using the forms for extending one's stay as a visitor, though I'm not certain.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Really this aspect of your question is unrelated to your sponsorship, because you're doing it outland.

Also, this may not be right for you, but you always have the option of re-applying inland if this turns out to be necessary for her to stay with you in Canada.

mask8

Aug 11, 2013
Thank you for you reply. Our priority is to be together no matter where. so we'll try to resolve issues at work first, then try to get visitor visa for her. We should have no issue getting visitors visa if that's only matter of supportive funds or anything like that. otherwise we'll just wait in her country :)

We've been waiting almost an year, and current processing time is 13 months according to CIC site. We've sent additional document requested by them back in June. I hope the strike doesn't affect everyone's processes too much.. thanks again