+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from Visitor Record to Student

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
I'm presently in Canada under R186(l) working full-time as a pastor.

Due to the recent changes in LMIA, my only option to get enough points for EE is to get post-secondary qualification.

How do I move from R186(l) to a student visa that permits me to work part-time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The first step is to be accepted by a school in Canada. It must be a full time program that you attend in person. Part time programs and online programs are not accepted.

Next step will be to submit the study permit and wait for it to be (hopefully) approved. To be approved, you'll need to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover both the first year tuition and living expenses.

Assuming the study permit is approved, you'll be able to work part time once classes officially begin.

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
scylla said:
The first step is to be accepted by a school in Canada. It must be a full time program that you attend in person. Part time programs and online programs are not accepted.

Next step will be to submit the study permit and wait for it to be (hopefully) approved. To be approved, you'll need to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover both the first year tuition and living expenses.

Assuming the study permit is approved, you'll be able to work part time once classes officially begin.
This is helpful.

I've received conflicting information on this point, with some saying that if I work part-time while studying then I don't HAVE to attend in person. Is there a way of verifying this officially? I will be working regardless of what course I do, but there's a specific distance course I'd LIKE to do, first because of what it is, and second, it will give a bit more flexibility with my time.

It's obviously a VERY significant point, and I obviously don't want to get it wrong.

P.S. Rating given. I appreciate the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Distance courses do not qualify for study permit. There shouldn't be any confusion here. This is a black and white rule. A distance course can be done from your home country and there's no need for you to be physically in Canada. So no study permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/consider.asp

"Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course."

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
scylla said:
Distance courses do not qualify for study permit. There shouldn't be any confusion here. This is a black and white rule. A distance course can be done from your home country and there's no need for you to be physically in Canada. So no study permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/consider.asp

"Since by definition distance learning does not require one to be in Canada, a study permit cannot be issued for this type of course."
Ahhhh.... it wasn't explained to me. I was being made to think that with distance learning it wouldn't count towards helping PR because there was something deficient in the qualification, not that it literally CAN'T be done because study permits are only for courses requiring physical attendance. That makes more sense.

Can you get a study permit for a degree which is mentored within Canada, but is accredited by an institution outside Canada? It's hybrid distance-ed and mentoring with a university in the UK which establishes hubs for mentoring in other countries.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bobsyouruncle said:
Can you get a study permit for a degree which is mentored within Canada, but is accredited by an institution outside Canada? It's hybrid distance-ed and mentoring with a university in the UK which establishes hubs for mentoring in other countries.
No - that won't work. The course isn't through a Canadian institution and you can pick a mentor anywhere. Plus you're using the word "distance" again. Once again, absolutely nothing about this course requires you to be physically in Canada.

You need to pick a degree that is physically delivered in Canada, is full time and that you have to attend in person. With a study permit, your primary reason for being in Canada is to study. Work is secondary and needs to accommodate (work around) your full time studies.

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
scylla said:
No - that won't work. The course isn't through a Canadian institution and you can pick a mentor anywhere. Plus you're using the word "distance" again. Once again, absolutely nothing about this course requires you to be physically in Canada.

You need to pick a degree that is physically delivered in Canada, is full time and that you have to attend in person. With a study permit, your primary reason for being in Canada is to study. Work is secondary and needs to accommodate (work around) your full time studies.
It does require me to be in Canada because I have to be on location one day a week. But it's not full-time, so I guess that's out.

bobsyouruncle

Sep 29, 2014
"if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses."

Does this mean I could do a distance course with my R186(l)?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bobsyouruncle said:
"if a foreign national authorized to work in Canada is prohibited from engaging in studies as per a condition of their work permit, they are allowed to engage in distance learning courses."

Does this mean I could do a distance course with my R186(l)?
Sorry - I don't know enough about the type of work permit you hold to answer that question.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bobsyouruncle said:
Just to clarify, does it have to be full-time to get a study permit if you are working as well?
Sorry - I don't quite understand this question.

If you want to work while you are studying, then you need to be a full time student. Part time students are not allowed to work off campus.