+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from Study to Visitor

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
I'm a US Citizen and withdrawing from my studies this week. I understand my study permit is valid for another 90 days. Since I'm visa excempt do I still need to apply for a TRV to stay here after the 90 days? If so, should I apply right away or wait to the end of the 90 days? Is there a different process for switching status or you just start with a fresh application? If the border does open in the next couple months is it possible to just do a quick trip across the border and come back on visitor status? (this one I'm counting as a 1% possibility)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm a US Citizen and withdrawing from my studies this week. I understand my study permit is valid for another 90 days. Since I'm visa excempt do I still need to apply for a TRV to stay here after the 90 days? If so, should I apply right away or wait to the end of the 90 days? Is there a different process for switching status or you just start with a fresh application? If the border does open in the next couple months is it possible to just do a quick trip across the border and come back on visitor status? (this one I'm counting as a 1% possibility)
As an American you still need to apply to change your status to visitor. The rules are no different for you. You should apply to change your status sooner rather than waiting for the 90 days to end. What are your long term plans for staying in Canada? Even with the borders closed to non-essential traffic, you are free to return home and go back to the U.S.

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
As an American you still need to apply to change your status to visitor. The rules are no different for you. You should apply to change your status sooner rather than waiting for the 90 days to end. What are your long term plans for staying in Canada? Even with the borders closed to non-essential traffic, you are free to return home and go back to the U.S.
Thank you. I'm waiting for a flight to return back to India and be with my spouse, so hoping to stay in Canada until that opens up again. I haven't lived in the US for 10 years now and have no desire to go back at the moment, but will if my time here in Canada runs out before international flights open.

meghdee

Star Member
May 1, 2019
So is there a different application process when switching status or just the regular TRV application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.