+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from Post graduation work permit to study permit.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
Hi everyone,

I am asking this on behalf of my friend, she completed her MSc in biology and got 3yrs PGWP (valid till mid 2016) and still she couldn't find a suitable job in her field. Her husband is a Canadian PR and she has already applied for spouse PR but it will take another 12 months to get in hand. Now if she wants to enrol again in different Master program (if she is fortunate to get admission there) then she has to apply for Study permit and surrender her PGWP...right ?
Okay, that said, if she joins university/college and studies there for a some time then in between gets job offer of her interest, then she has to apply for Work permit and surrender her study permit...right. ?

Will be there be any issues switching permits, considering her husband is Canadian PR. :'(

Your replies would be really appreciated.

Cheers.!
Well Wisher

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Well Wisher said:
Hi everyone,

I am asking this on behalf of my friend, she completed her MSc in biology and got 3yrs PGWP (valid till mid 2016) and still she couldn't find a suitable job in her field. Her husband is a Canadian PR and she has already applied for spouse PR but it will take another 12 months to get in hand. Now if she wants to enrol again in different Master program (if she is fortunate to get admission there) then she has to apply for Study permit and surrender her PGWP...right ?
Okay, that said, if she joins university/college and studies there for a some time then in between gets job offer of her interest, then she has to apply for Work permit and surrender her study permit...right. ?

Will be there be any issues switching permits, considering her husband is Canadian PR. :'(

Your replies would be really appreciated.

Cheers.!
Well Wisher

You don't have to surrender anything, one cancels the other automatically. You won't get PGWP second time.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
J5M said:
Hi,

You don't have to surrender anything, one cancels the other automatically. You won't get PGWP second time.
Hi JSM,
Thanks for your reply, but main concern is, is there any issue in switching permits.? I understand they dont issue PGWP second time but if she gets job then would it be difficult to get work permit. ?

Thanks,
Well Wisher

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Well Wisher said:
Hi JSM,
Thanks for your reply, but main concern is, is there any issue in switching permits.? I understand they dont issue PGWP second time but if she gets job then would it be difficult to get work permit. ?

Thanks,
Well Wisher

It depends on your status.

1. If you are working in a NOC O/A/B job, your spouse will be eligible for an OWP, valid as long as yours WP.
2. If you are not on NOC O/A/B, your spouse must apply for an employer sponsored LMIA. A positive LMIA doesn't guarantee a WP.