+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from on-campus studies to distance learning - will it affect study visa?

accioio

Sep 18, 2018
Hello all,

I am wondering, if an international student has a study visa for an on campus program at a DLI and attends for one semester, if they switch to online studies (for the same program, just online delivery), would it make the study permit invalid? I am asking because IRCC says that for the purpose of obtaining a study permit, distance learning is not counted as studies. So if someone were to switch to distance learning, would it mean they are "stopping" their studies, with respect to the validity of their current study permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would definitely affect their ability to receive PGWP. Hard to say how the schools are reporting your attendance to CIC. Distance learning can be completed without being in Canada so that defeats the purpose of needing to study in Canada is the reasoning behind the rules. Is there a reason you need to switch to distance learning? I would strongly recommend that you not attend classes.