+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from inland to outland during a pandemic

JohnCana123

Star Member
May 15, 2019
Does anyone have experience “switching” from inland to outland during this pandemic (I know we would have to withdraw and reapply outland). My partner is currently out of status. We applied inland in December 2019 and our file was unfortunately transferred to Etobicoke in December 2020. It seems that Etobicoke office is still working on 2018 files and people are waiting over a year after their file is transferred.

My partners mother is very ill back home and we are thinking it is best for him to return home and help care for her and also spend time with her. Will the fact that he stayed here without status negatively impact an outland app. What are the current processing times like for outland apps? Please share your perspectives and your experiences as we are still trying to decide what to do. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does anyone have experience “switching” from inland to outland during this pandemic (I know we would have to withdraw and reapply outland). My partner is currently out of status. We applied inland in December 2019 and our file was unfortunately transferred to Etobicoke in December 2020. It seems that Etobicoke office is still working on 2018 files and people are waiting over a year after their file is transferred.

My partners mother is very ill back home and we are thinking it is best for him to return home and help care for her and also spend time with her. Will the fact that he stayed here without status negatively impact an outland app. What are the current processing times like for outland apps? Please share your perspectives and your experiences as we are still trying to decide what to do. Thank you.
If your application is with Etobicoke, you're unfortunately in for a long wait (which you already know by the sounds of it). I would plan on 2 years. If you stay inland, your partner will need to avoid travel outside of Canada until the application is finalized.

Right now outland is taking over a year but should be less than 2 years.

Hard call...

Reactions: JohnCana123

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020

The problem with what your wanting to do is you can not just switch over the application you would have to withdraw the outland and apply for the inland sponsorship the principle applicant will have to be in Canada until the process is complete..

what do you mean him staying out of status? Being out of status and recieving a removal order could be potentially harming. it would all depend on how long he was in Canada out of status.

Inland applications are around 4-6 months behind still and open work permits that can come with the inland application is 6 months behind at least.. It is hard to really say that you would be better off inland because it would reset your processing time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The problem with what your wanting to do is you can not just switch over the application you would have to withdraw the outland and apply for the inland sponsorship the principle applicant will have to be in Canada until the process is complete..

what do you mean him staying out of status? Being out of status and recieving a removal order could be potentially harming. it would all depend on how long he was in Canada out of status.

Inland applications are around 4-6 months behind still and open work permits that can come with the inland application is 6 months behind at least.. It is hard to really say that you would be better off inland because it would reset your processing time.
OP's application has been transferred to Etobicoke. This basically tacks on at least one year if not 2+ to the overall process with no OWP for most of that time

Reactions: JohnCana123

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021

I think you totally misunderstood OP. Op is asking whether it’s advisable to switch from inland to Outland, due to the long wait, as a result of file transfer to Etobicoke. OP spouse wants to return back home because of family issues. And asking whether applying from home country would make a difference.

To be honest OP, I read in some other threads here, that some Outland papers are also not moving quite well due to COVID. I advise you to consider your situation carefully before withdrawing your application.
As for your spouse out of status, it all depends on the circumstances, otherwise if you had applied for PR before they went out of status then you may be under implied status, if you included an open work permit with your PR application.
Goodluck.

JohnCana123

Star Member
May 15, 2019
Thank you @scylla and @lucky678 for your helpful responses.

@Usa2canada<3 , as mentioned above, I think you misunderstood my question but thanks nonetheless for taking your time to respond.

He was out of status before we applied so no hope for OWP/status until he gets AIP.

We have a lot of thinking to do regarding whether to switch to outland. With Covid it seems outland processing times have really slowed down. We don’t want him to end up stuck back home for a long period of time. I really wish something could be done to speed up processing times in Etobicoke. Thanks again for all your help.

espg_007

Star Member
Aug 17, 2014
What does "transferred to Etobicoke" entails? It sounds terrible.

It really sucks how hard immigration processes can be :S

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What does "transferred to Etobicoke" entails? It sounds terrible.

It really sucks how hard immigration processes can be :S
It means IRCC has fairly serious concerns about the application (usually around the relationship being genuine) and that the application is going to undergo significant additional review.

Reactions: espg_007