+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Switching from a regular university to an online one as an international student

thenormal

Nov 22, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'd like to present you all with a situation I've been thinking about for quite a while.

I am an international student who is currently studying for a BA at a university in Canada. The university I attend is a regular one, with a campus and live lectures.

I do know there are online universities out there who are fully recognized, and which offer both undergraduate and graduate programs of all kinds. One of them is Athabasca University, which is pretty well known in Alberta.

Do you think it would be possible to switch from a regular university to an online one while on a study permit? I am curious about this merely because of the location matter. When you apply to a university as an international student, once you get admitted and receive your study permit, you are basically "tied" to that university in the sense that you must live where that university is located at.

However, if one were to switch to a fully recognized online university, such string would disappear because in order to attend the online university all you would need is a computer, which can be located anywhere. That should grant free mobility within the country.

What's your take on this?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello everyone,

I'd like to present you all with a situation I've been thinking about for quite a while.

I am an international student who is currently studying for a BA at a university in Canada. The university I attend is a regular one, with a campus and live lectures.

I do know there are online universities out there who are fully recognized, and which offer both undergraduate and graduate programs of all kinds. One of them is Athabasca University, which is pretty well known in Alberta.

Do you think it would be possible to switch from a regular university to an online one while on a study permit? I am curious about this merely because of the location matter. When you apply to a university as an international student, once you get admitted and receive your study permit, you are basically "tied" to that university in the sense that you must live where that university is located at.

However, if one were to switch to a fully recognized online university, such string would disappear because in order to attend the online university all you would need is a computer, which can be located anywhere. That should grant free mobility within the country.

What's your take on this?

Just to be clear on this, taking online classes will guarantee a refusal if you apply for Post Graduate Work Permit as this is only granted to those who attend classes physically. So if you're thinking of working after graduation then don't take online classes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's more... Switching to an online program will be the equivalent of dropping out of school. You'll need to stop working off campus immediately and your study permit will be automatically canceled after 90 days - and you'll end up in Canada without status. As explained above, you also won't qualify for a PGWP.

You can take online courses outside of Canada and there's no need for you to be physically in Canada.