+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suspension of IELTS in US

Illinois60

Jan 22, 2020
IELTS has suspended all the tests in the US, does anyone have any clue when will it reopen. I had booked a date for IELTS here in Chicago, but got email stating, the test are cancelled until further notice.
All my application documents are ready, IELTS is the only hurdle, before sending the application.
I hope someone knows about reopening here on the forum.
thanks

NicoHughes

Star Member
Apr 13, 2020
In China, IELTS is not expected to return until at least September, for US I guess it will be even later due to COVID situation.

Also, IELTS speaking requires a face-to-face examiner, so the health and safety of them is first priority, there's no way they will risk this until COVID has started to die down.

Maybe worth a try to travel to other countries to take the test, especially computer based IELTS since US only offers paper based version.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IELTS has suspended all the tests in the US, does anyone have any clue when will it reopen. I had booked a date for IELTS here in Chicago, but got email stating, the test are cancelled until further notice.
All my application documents are ready, IELTS is the only hurdle, before sending the application.
thanks
Unfortunately we don't know.

gg205

Star Member
May 4, 2018
Unfortunately we don't know.
The test center in my state (AZ) cancelled the exam thrice since March 2020. There are chances that it may resume from July/August (based on comments from test center) and recent speaking tests in other countries were conducted via video calls to prevent face-to-face, CIC / PNP has to revisit these scenarios. Fingers crossed
Lets hope the best!!!

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
I chatted with a British council agent here in India where all tests until end of May were cancelled. They said that they are hoping to resume from mid June. Does anyone have any additional information regarding tests in India? I am not sure how they will conduct tests this month given that all scheduled government exams have been put off until July.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
thanks
try Celpip-General
https://www.celpip.ca/celpip-general/

sealco

Star Member
Apr 17, 2013
I wish I had taken CELPIP. My hubby did it with great results and his English is not as great as mine. Plus he got his results in 4 days. I took IELTS on 31st May and the results are still not ready. I called them and they said results are taking longer because of COVID-19. This is bs as it was computer based (computer marked L and R) and there weren't even a lot of candidates for the test at the centre I went to.