+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Survival jobs

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Does anyone have experience in survival jobs? When you came to Canada and couldn't find a job, what did you do as a survival job? and how did you get it? I would like to hear some suggestions, as I need to pay the bills. I have been unemployed for 3 months, and I struggle to find a job.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately finding a job can often take quite a while for all employees but especially for new graduates. Survival jobs all depend on what your skills are and what you are willing to do. Unfortunately there were a lot of seasonal jobs you could have picked up over the holidays. In Canada there isn't a ton of hiring between mid-November to mid-January. Things tend to pick up a bit after that but some industries don't do a lot of hiring in the middle winter.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I thought survival jobs require low to no special skills. I am exploring my options now. What examples of survival jobs I can do? and where can I find them? Do I need to contact a temp agency for them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Survival jobs usually require lower skill base. Have you ever worked in a restaurant? Have you worked in a store? Do you have experience in construction? If there are multiple candidates , employers will always take the one with experience. You can contact temp agencies or manpower company. Sure the information is available online or you can try your local government job help centre.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Ah, OK, I see. No, I don't have experience with anything like that. I want to hear from people who worked on survival jobs. I need to have a better idea on what I can do, and what to expect. Will they ask for my SIN for survival jobs?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
try personal agencies. There you do not need much of work experience. But do not await much, just the basic minimum manual jobs (like if they need some additional workforce).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ah, OK, I see. No, I don't have experience with anything like that. I want to hear from people who worked on survival jobs. I need to have a better idea on what I can do, and what to expect. Will they ask for my SIN for survival jobs?
Yes they should ask for SIN although realistically I realize there is a cash economy.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
No one knows what you can do..only you can. Maybe pump some gas? Work as a cleaner? Stocking shelves at Walmart?
You knew about this BEFORE you came to Canada. In order to pay bills, ANY job is better than no job at all.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
No one knows what you can do..only you can. Maybe pump some gas? Work as a cleaner? Stocking shelves at Walmart?
You knew about this BEFORE you came to Canada. In order to pay bills, ANY job is better than no job at all.
Actually, I didn't know before I come. I would have chosen another destination. And why no one knows about survival jobs? I thought people who have done them can share what they have done to see if I would like doing that.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Actually, I didn't know before I come. I would have chosen another destination. And why no one knows about survival jobs? I thought people who have done them can share what they have done to see if I would like doing that.
What would you like to do? What can you do? What are you good at? As I said before, YOU should know. We cannot tell you what you like. A bit of initiative is the secret to success, be active in applying for jobs that suit your abilities.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If you immigrate to any country in the world, you may not get a job straight away. Surely you should have researched this when moving countries.What is your preferred occupation?

Reactions: foodie69

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Low skill jobs as other pointed out are big box store job to stock shelves, fast chain restaurants that provide some basic training, general labour on construction sites (you don't need skill but you need to handle physical work and some needs to be outside in the cold).

All of them needs SIN. If you don't have a valid work permit or a valid status to work in Canada, it's not going to be easy to find any job. And it will impact your application to become a PR or getting other visa in Canada.

Assuming you have valid SIN, one possibility is to look for survival jobs at places that you already visited the last few months. (restaurant, store, services) Some of the people who work there may already recognize you as a customer and they may let you join them.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not uncommon for new Canadian graduates to struggle getting a job as well. It is much better to get out there and show that you are at least a reliable and good employee.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Don't YOU worry- there is loads of survival jobs for every type and size of human here(atleast in Toronto). As long as you're ready to work, you can put food on the table.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It is not just recent graduates that have to do survival jobs. I worked for 27 years at a job, one day, laid off. I slung freight onto freighters at Fedex for 6 months. Was it my dream job ? No. Did it help keep the wolves away from the door ? Yes. Sometimes in life you gotta do things you particularly do not want to do, until the right job comes along.

Reactions: foodie69