+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Survival jobs in Canada

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
JOLTBOLT said:
Hi all,
I am aware that it is not easy to get a job in line/level with the job you had in your home country. This could take some time however if one is willing to do any job that is available until he gets to prepare himself to get employed in his chosen field, how difficult it is to get any job for the timebeing or how long does it take. What kind of income can one expect in these survival jobs. Planning to land in June so anyone with experience please respond.
my advice is to contact the nearest "government funded" employment agencies - once you land, they should be able to help you get a survival job, and provide you with useful guidance on job search techniques, interviewing tips & tips on writing a canadian resume. Check the web for the upcoming job fairs in the city where you landed....attend those job fairs, talk to employers, agents - whomever you find, network with people ...if you know some people from your own country/or any friends from other countries who are already settled in canada - they could also help you and guide you.

Just be determined, and don't be discouraged if it took longer than expected....just keep trying. As "NIKE" says "Impossible is nothing".....

Even the word "impossible" itself says "i m possible" ...so it also depends how you look at things.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
my advice is to contact the nearest "government funded" employment agencies - once you land, they should be able to help you get a survival job, and provide you with useful guidance on job search techniques, interviewing tips & tips on writing a canadian resume. Check the web for the upcoming job fairs in the city where you landed....attend those job fairs, talk to employers, agents - whomever you find, network with people ...if you know some people from your own country/or any friends from other countries who are already settled in canada - they could also help you and guide you.

Just be determined, and don't be discouraged if it took longer than expected....just keep trying. As "NIKE" says "Impossible is nothing".....

Even the word "impossible" itself says "i m possible" ...so it also depends how you look at things.

"Impossible is nothing" is addidas not Nike

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yorker13 said:
hey ....whats with u and somalia?....quit using it if u aint from there.
Why? only Somalians have exclusive rights to use Somalia as an example? How messed up is that?
I've used China, Nigeria, India, Bangladesh and other countries as examples so stop throwing a hissy fit, put the baby bottle down and grow up

marcolee

Star Member
Jun 5, 2013
You can expect the minimal salary for "survial job". It took me 6 months to get a full-time job. Good luck.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
It took me five months to get first proper job, and 1 1/2 months to get first survival job. Labor jobs are not easy to do specially if you have Engineering, Doctor or professional background and you landed in mid thirties or above. While doing survival job I always used to say myself that "this job is fun and my goal is survival for the moment", I always kept myself motivated and optimistic when leaving home at the mid of cold cold nights, preaching myself that one day I will be doing a good job in Canada. Just be advised those coming to Canada, come prepared that your saving spending and low income may be part of your life for first few months.

It is very rare in Canada that after one or maximum two years of stay in Canada you would still be suffering from hand to mouth but for sure it is also not very likely you would be flourishing from very beginning unless you are lucky. There are lots of lucky guys around who got good jobs within few weeks after their landing, but my best recommendation is come prepared for worst.

It is better to here in Canada from Somalia than Europe, becoz more you are thankful to Canada more you will accerate towards better life.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hasher said:
It took me five months to get first proper job, and 1 1/2 months to get first survival job. Labor jobs are not easy to do specially if you have Engineering, Doctor or professional background and you landed in mid thirties or above. While doing survival job I always used to say myself that "this job is fun and my goal is survival for the moment", I always kept myself motivated and optimistic when leaving home at the mid of cold cold nights, preaching myself that one day I will be doing a good job in Canada. Just be advised those coming to Canada, come prepared that your saving spending and low income may be part of your life for first few months.

It is very rare in Canada that after one or maximum two years of stay in Canada you would still be suffering from hand to mouth but for sure it is also not very likely you would be flourishing from very beginning unless you are lucky. There are lots of lucky guys around who got good jobs within few weeks after their landing, but my best recommendation is come prepared for worst.

It is better to here in Canada from Somalia than Europe, becoz more you are thankful to Canada more you will accerate towards better life.
Thanks for sharing your experience, 5 months is a relatively short time to get settled in a job related to your field - congrats!
How did you get that job? Through a reference/or friend? Or you just applied online?
Out of curiosity - what is your field of expertise?