+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

supporting letter form friends/family - notarised/witness by commissioner?

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
I want to give more evidence of our common law relationship. Do letters from friends need to be notarized/ apostilled/ signed by a commissioner of oaths?

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
spikehades said:
I want to give more evidence of our common law relationship. Do letters from friends need to be notarized/ apostilled/ signed by a commissioner of oaths?
Yes that is a must for Common- Law Application, you have to provide Statutory Declaration ( atleast 2) from your family or friends who know about your genuine relationship. It should be notarized by Commissioner of Oath.

mirakhorli.f

Mar 25, 2014
Where should we go to do that?
is there any one to give the example of such a letter? what should we mention exactely on it.

Carlaganda23 said:
Yes that is a must for Common- Law Application, you have to provide Statutory Declaration ( atleast 2) from your family or friends who know about your genuine relationship. It should be notarized by Commissioner of Oath.

spikehades

Oct 20, 2013
We have sent two declarations to CIC, but they were not notarized. It has been difficult as we live in Japan, and English is not commonly spoken here.
Also, a common law declaration has to be notarized.
As we havent been able to send these, it probably means our application will be rejected. Should we cancel our application, and re-send once we are better able to send appropriate evidence, or when our situation changes as we planned to be married this year?
If they refuse the application based on the fact that they do not recognize our relationship as common law, is it better to reapply after they reject it or should we just cancel the application before they reject it?

mirakhorli.f

Mar 25, 2014
where in the site, it has been said that, it should be notarized?!!!

spikehades said:
We have sent two declarations to CIC, but they were not notarized. It has been difficult as we live in Japan, and English is not commonly spoken here.
As we havent been able to send these, it probably means our application will be rejected. Should we cancel our application, and re-send once we are better able to send appropriate evidence, or when our situation changes as we planned to be married this year?
If they refuse the application based on the fact that they do not recognize our relationship as common law, is it better to reapply after they reject it or should we just cancel the application before they reject it?

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
mirakhorli.f said:
where in the site, it has been said that, it should be notarized?!!!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/relationship-support-letters-examples-t47010.0.html

That's the link for the outline for Statutory Declaration.

It should stated there that : they know both of you and met you at this month and year...

That you moved in together in this address______in what month?
That you have genuine and continuing relationship.

Things like that signed by Notary public, solicitor, commissioner of oath.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
spikehades said:
Hi spike head,

CIC will give you a chance before they can deny your application.

You can ask any Solicitor in Japan to sign it for you. As for Statutory Declaration you can ask your friend to go to the lawyers office to get it notarized or signed by Solicitor.

angryrectangle

Star Member
Jun 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
File Transfer...
11-04-2014
Med's Done....
17-02-2014
Passport Req..
03-11-2014
When a friend of mine was filing her common-law application, she also had the letter writers discuss the relationship a little (ex. they love each other so much, they're perfect together, whatever).

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Carlaganda23 said:
As for Statutory Declaration you can ask your friend to go to the lawyers office to get it notarized or signed by Solicitor.
Carlaganda has I think misunderstood what a statutory declaration is. The form for Canada is set out in the post of Anonymity dated 24 August 1012: the link is in one of Carlaganda's own posts in the present thread. I cannot vouch for the Canadian form but if the form for England and Wales is required you can look it up in the London thread under my name, today's date. The Appendix A checklist varies from country to country but the one for the UK simply requires a statutory declaration from 2 witnesses to the relationship. Statutory declarations in England and Wales do not need to be 'notaried' or sworn: they only need declaring (ie signing) before a commissioner for oaths. Canada seems to be the same. No need to find a notary public. Again I cannot vouch for the form of declarations required in checklists for other countries. They may or may not require notarization; I do not know.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
wowsers said:
Carlaganda has I think misunderstood what a statutory declaration is. The form for Canada is set out in the post of Anonymity dated 24 August 1012: the link is in one of Carlaganda's own posts in the present thread. I cannot vouch for the Canadian form but if the form for England and Wales is required you can look it up in the London thread under my name, today's date. The Appendix A checklist varies from country to country but the one for the UK simply requires a statutory declaration from 2 witnesses to the relationship. Statutory declarations in England and Wales do not need to be 'notaried' or sworn: they only need declaring (ie signing) before a commissioner for oaths. Canada seems to be the same. No need to find a notary public. Again I cannot vouch for the form of declarations required in checklists for other countries. They may or may not require notarization; I do not know.
Yes commissioner of oath is good.
I used commissioner of oath in most of my documents.