Supporting documents

billybob71a

May 21, 2017
Hello,

I was wondering for the form IMM5533E (the checklist document), item #7 says:

"To provide proof that you are staying together provide:"
"provide documentation from two(2) of the following (3) sets:
- joint ownership of residential or joint residential leases
- proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telelphone)
- Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address"

and then
"If you are married for less than 2 years provide:"

"One (1) document from three (3) of the following sets of options
- joint ownership of residential or joint residential leases (minimum 1 document)
- proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone) (Minimum 1 document)
-Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits) (minimum 1 document)
-Documentary evidence of financial support between your sponsor and yourself
-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship, etc.)"

Is it ok if the documents from "proof that you are staying together" and "married for less than 2 years" overlap?

Peter

hsabharwal

May 8, 2012
I don't get what it means by one out of following three sets of options, as my spouse and my self wont be living together as I would have to sponsor her first to accompany me in Canada, so submitting a residential lease with her name on it is counter intuitive ?

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
Hello,

I was wondering for the form IMM5533E (the checklist document), item #7 says:

"To provide proof that you are staying together provide:"
"provide documentation from two(2) of the following (3) sets:
- joint ownership of residential or joint residential leases
- proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telelphone)
- Important documents for you and your sponsor showing the same address"

and then
"If you are married for less than 2 years provide:"

"One (1) document from three (3) of the following sets of options
- joint ownership of residential or joint residential leases (minimum 1 document)
- proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone) (Minimum 1 document)
-Important documents for you or your sponsor showing that you are recognized as each other's spouse (such as employment or insurance benefits) (minimum 1 document)
-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship, etc.)"

Is it ok if the documents from "proof that you are staying together" and "married for less than 2 years" overlap?

Peter
Yes, the documents can overlap. You may want to attach a letter explaining which documents fill which requirements to prevent any confusion. :) It's important to note that the documents can overlap on the two different lists, but not WITHIN the same list - I hope that makes sense? One document can fulfill a requirement on both lists, but one document cannot fulfill multiple requirements on the same list.

Reactions: jdCanadian

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
I don't get what it means by one out of following three sets of options, as my spouse and my self wont be living together as I would have to sponsor her first to accompany me in Canada, so submitting a residential lease with her name on it is counter intuitive ?
That's why you are only required to submit three items from the list. Since you would not have a joint lease or anything of that nature, you would need to submit these three items:

-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship, etc.)

Reactions: billybob71a

billybob71a

May 21, 2017
That's why you are only required to submit three items from the list. Since you would not have a joint lease or anything of that nature, you would need to submit these three items:

-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship, etc.)
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.

Would it be possible to send the following 3 instead?

-proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone) (Minimum 1 document)
-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.

Would it be possible to send the following 3 instead?

-proof of joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone) (Minimum 1 document)
-Other proof of the your relationship is recognized by your friends and/or family (e.g. Letters, social media information showing public relationship
Yes, any combination of 3 items on the list is fine :)