+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supporting Documents Ecuador

Adylene

Aug 29, 2022
Hello,

Has anyone successfully sponsored their spouse from Ecuador?

I have questions regarding supporting documents.

In the instructions for documents, it says that official documents issued by this country must be government certified
1. a) What does "government-certified" mean? Can any public notary do it?
b) What does official documents refer to? passports, cedula, birth/marriage certificate

2. Are the copies of marriage and birth certificates already government-certified when I request them from the registro civil? and signed and sealed?

3. Does the rental contract/internet bill /bank statement need to be certified? Or just translate them?

4. Regarding translation, anyone who is proficient in the language can translate and then sign an affidavit?

5. The translator has to first see the certified copy before translating, correct?

Thank you for any information you can share.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

Has anyone successfully sponsored their spouse from Ecuador?

I have questions regarding supporting documents.

In the instructions for documents, it says that official documents issued by this country must be government certified
1. a) What does "government-certified" mean? Can any public notary do it?
b) What does official documents refer to? passports, cedula, birth/marriage certificate

2. Are the copies of marriage and birth certificates already government-certified when I request them from the registro civil? and signed and sealed?

3. Does the rental contract/internet bill /bank statement need to be certified? Or just translate them?

4. Regarding translation, anyone who is proficient in the language can translate and then sign an affidavit?

5. The translator has to first see the certified copy before translating, correct?

Thank you for any information you can share.
I assume the instructions say copies of official documents must be government certified.

1&2. Official documents here mean government-issued. Best to ask local shops how it is done, usually it means the copy is certified by notary, BUT in some countries esp latin america government agency/ministry must certify. I presume that's what the language above means.

IF you get the copy direct from the government registry (and it's marked copy or duplicate) that should be good. But again - check however you can ideally with Canadian embassy.

3. If not government issued, no, just a translation.

4. No, it must be a certified translator (certified by whatever agency recognizes translators locally).

5. Old style was the translator would receive the certified copy and translate that and attach the translation to the copy (in some countries sew and/or seal the two together). Whatever is accepted practice locally will usually be accepted by IRCC.

Reactions: Adylene

Adylene

Aug 29, 2022
I assume the instructions say copies of official documents must be government certified.

1&2. Official documents here mean government-issued. Best to ask local shops how it is done, usually it means the copy is certified by notary, BUT in some countries esp latin america government agency/ministry must certify. I presume that's what the language above means.

IF you get the copy direct from the government registry (and it's marked copy or duplicate) that should be good. But again - check however you can ideally with Canadian embassy.

3. If not government issued, no, just a translation.

4. No, it must be a certified translator (certified by whatever agency recognizes translators locally).

5. Old style was the translator would receive the certified copy and translate that and attach the translation to the copy (in some countries sew and/or seal the two together). Whatever is accepted practice locally will usually be accepted by IRCC.
Thank you very much! Your reply is extremely helpful.
If I use a certified translator in Ecuador, I wouldn't need an affidativ? Correct?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much! Your reply is extremely helpful.
If I use a certified translator in Ecuador, I wouldn't need an affidativ? Correct?
The translator will affix a stamp or statement that meets the sense of what is required. (An affidavit is just a sworn statement, for a certified translator they don't need to swear it in front of somebody else, their stamp/cert info is enough).