+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa questions

Godhelpme

Jun 19, 2008
I have a few questions and I’d appreciate any insight.

1. My mother has a 10 year supervisa and she is in Canada for the past 23 months. Now that the supervisa stay has been extended by IRCC to 5 years, do we have to apply for it or it is automatically applied to the current stay?

2. I want to take my mom to NY for a day trip next week. When she comes back to Canada, will her supervisa stay be reset again to 5 years or will it be 3 years?

3. I am taking my mom on a 2 week cruise from Miami in December. Will that reset her stay time a second time?

I have tried calling IRCC many times but couldn’t get through

Thank you in advance for any help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a few questions and I’d appreciate any insight.

1. My mother has a 10 year supervisa and she is in Canada for the past 23 months. Now that the supervisa stay has been extended by IRCC to 5 years, do we have to apply for it or it is automatically applied to the current stay?

2. I want to take my mom to NY for a day trip next week. When she comes back to Canada, will her supervisa stay be reset again to 5 years or will it be 3 years?

3. I am taking my mom on a 2 week cruise from Miami in December. Will that reset her stay time a second time?

I have tried calling IRCC many times but couldn’t get through

Thank you in advance for any help.
1. She entered under the 2 year scheme so only qualifies for 2 years at the moment.
2. Always at the discretion of CBSA especially for a day trip.
3. Always at the discretion of CBSA but should reset unless IRCC has directed to extend to 5 years. Supervisa isn’t meant to live in Canada indefinitely so at a certain point leaving the country and trying to reset again will likely end up in a short stay or refusal of entry. She will need to qualify for supervisa insurance every year to remain in Canada.

Godhelpme

Jun 19, 2008
1. She entered under the 2 year scheme so only qualifies for 2 years at the moment.
2. Always at the discretion of CBSA especially for a day trip.
3. Always at the discretion of CBSA but should reset unless IRCC has directed to extend to 5 years. Supervisa isn’t meant to live in Canada indefinitely so at a certain point leaving the country and trying to reset again will likely end up in a short stay or refusal of entry. She will need to qualify for supervisa insurance every year to remain in Canada.

Thank you for the reply.

We aren’t trying to get it reset. I can always apply for an extension which is much cheaper and convenient than a trip to US. I genuinely want to take my mom to US to show her around so was wondering how the supervisa works after going in and out of the country for a few times during the validity timeframe. I couldn’t any answer from IRCC helpline as it’s always busy.

Again, thank you for your input. I appreciate it :)