+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa delayed, okay to cancel insurance?

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Hello forum,

Applied for parental supervisa in July 2022, no news so far (afaik being processed in Poland).

At the time, I bought a 1 year insurance commencing in late fall and included proof (the policy) in the application. Since then I had to call the insurance company and defer the start date twice already. This doesn't feel right, the money I put down (around 5K) is on hold indefinitely and for nothing.

At this point, should I just cancel the policy altogether and buy it again once the application is approved and we decide on an arrival date?

Im not sure if and how the officer can check whether a policy is active or not at the time of their review. But I also don't want my funds to be held hostage for almost a year and with no news.

Realbuggu

Oct 16, 2017
Hello forum,

Applied for parental supervisa in July 2022, no news so far (afaik being processed in Poland).

At the time, I bought a 1 year insurance commencing in late fall and included proof (the policy) in the application. Since then I had to call the insurance company and defer the start date twice already. This doesn't feel right, the money I put down (around 5K) is on hold indefinitely and for nothing.

At this point, should I just cancel the policy altogether and buy it again once the application is approved and we decide on an arrival date?

Im not sure if and how the officer can check whether a policy is active or not at the time of their review. But I also don't want my funds to be held hostage for almost a year and with no news.
The only way the insurance will cancel your policy is that you have to show the refusal letter....

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Do not cancel the policy when the application is in progress. You never know if they decide to verify that and find the policy cancelled they may deny the application.

There is no limit to the number of times you can postpone the insurance dates. If you wish to cancel then withdraw the application and cancel.

Reactions: canuck78

assbutt

Jul 25, 2018
Do not cancel the policy when the application is in progress. You never know if they decide to verify that and find the policy cancelled they may deny the application.

There is no limit to the number of times you can postpone the insurance dates. If you wish to cancel then withdraw the application and cancel.
Thank you, I will follow your advice. Out of curiosity, can officers really verify whether a policy is active or not? I wonder if the client's privacy policies (insurance company side) would prevent that from happening but I'm not sure. Do officers just call the insurance company and ask that?

Reactions: canuck78