+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Supervisa after TRV

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone. I've just moved to Canada and have found a job AA. I wish that my mother joins me here permanently.

I will have to wait for a few years to sponsor her for permanent residency under the parent and grandparent sponsorship program. In the meantime, I want her to stay with me in Canada.

She already has a valid 10 year multiple entry TRV. However she can stay for only 6 months (extendable to a year). However as per what I've read on this forum, both the 6 month period and extendable period are awarded at the discretion of the Border Control Officer / CIC. She is old and cannot travel very frequently. I was thinking of having her over for a year and then travelling to the US and reentering to reset the counter. Is this a feasible option or should I apply for a supervisa instead? I will have to get supervisa insurance but as per the CIC website, she can then stay for a period upto 2 years in Canada.

My relatives are recommending that I do not go for the supervisa and try to manage with the TRV. What do you guys think?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi everyone. I've just moved to Canada and have found a job AA. I wish that my mother joins me here permanently.
She can only extend her visitor status from time to time whether on a TRV or a super visa. She cannot stay permanently as a visitor.

She already has a valid 10 year multiple entry TRV. However she can stay for only 6 months (extendable to a year). However as per what I've read on this forum, both the 6 month period and extendable period are awarded at the discretion of the Border Control Officer / CIC.
Correct.

She is old and cannot travel very frequently. I was thinking of having her over for a year and then travelling to the US and reentering to reset the counter. Is this a feasible option
Sooner or later she could be denied entry or given a few days to return to her home country.

or should I apply for a supervisa instead? I will have to get supervisa insurance but as per the CIC website, she can then stay for a period upto 2 years in Canada.
You're not eligible to invite her as a super visa host until you can prove that you meet LICO i.e. you need to submit at least one NOA + proof of stable employment/finances, etc

My relatives are recommending that I do not go for the supervisa and try to manage with the TRV. What do you guys think?
I concur with your relatives' suggestions. Carry on with the TRV until you qualify to be a super visa host. Do keep in mind that she would need to apply for a super visa from her home country

mystique9999

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
You're not eligible to invite her as a super visa host until you can prove that you meet LICO i.e. you need to submit at least one NOA + proof of stable employment/finances, etc
One of my friends applied for a supervisa for his mother with just 2 biweekly paystubs. CIC asked for NOA but he told them that he had just been employed recently and did not have it. They approved the visa.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
One of my friends applied for a supervisa for his mother with just 2 biweekly paystubs. CIC asked for NOA but he told them that he had just been employed recently and did not have it. They approved the visa.
There could be some rare exceptions. Each case is unique so it is difficult to comment on why your friend's mother was approved.

IRCC asks to submit as many proofs of meeting LICO/stable financial situation as possible. In fact, officially the requirement is for 3 years of LICO even for super visas but proofs for one year seem to work. We've commonly seen that one of the refusal reasons is the lack of NOAs