+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - Subsequent entries

Peaceful

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hi there,

My Mom is in Canada on a super visa which expires along with her Passport i.e. in 2023. This is her third entry to Canada:

First super visa entry in 2018 with a date stamp of 2 years, she left in about 10 months
Second super visa entry in 2019 with no date stamp, she left in about 5 months
Third super visa entry (current) in 2020 with a date stamp of 6 months only!

I actually want her to stay here longer this time, probably for 1.5-2 years and super visa does allow to stay for a period of 2 years at a time but not really sure why the immigration officer at the airport was so adamant to her that she can only stay until 6 months and printed a visitor record which expires in 6 months and gave it to her.

She didn't over stay during any of her previous visits, she came to Canada after spending 1 year and 3 months in her home country (India) and I had fulfilled insurance requirements for all her visits, even this time I bought 1 year of insurance with planning to extend closer to the expiry.

I'm planning on applying for extension of visa closer to the 6 months expiry but perplexed as to why the officer would date stamp for 6 months only while a super visa allows you to stay for 2 years at a time. The link below clearly states the difference between a regular visitor visa and a super visa, then would the officer only grant a 6 months entry?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=16.2

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

My Mom is in Canada on a super visa which expires along with her Passport i.e. in 2023. This is her third entry to Canada:

First super visa entry in 2018 with a date stamp of 2 years, she left in about 10 months
Second super visa entry in 2019 with no date stamp, she left in about 5 months
Third super visa entry (current) in 2020 with a date stamp of 6 months only!

I actually want her to stay here longer this time, probably for 1.5-2 years and super visa does allow to stay for a period of 2 years at a time but not really sure why the immigration officer at the airport was so adamant to her that she can only stay until 6 months and printed a visitor record which expires in 6 months and gave it to her.

She didn't over stay during any of her previous visits, she came to Canada after spending 1 year and 3 months in her home country (India) and I had fulfilled insurance requirements for all her visits, even this time I bought 1 year of insurance with planning to extend closer to the expiry.

I'm planning on applying for extension of visa closer to the 6 months expiry but perplexed as to why the officer would date stamp for 6 months only while a super visa allows you to stay for 2 years at a time. The link below clearly states the difference between a regular visitor visa and a super visa, then would the officer only grant a 6 months entry?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=16.2

Any thoughts or suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thanks!
Are you sure she was granted a supervisa?

Peaceful

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Are you sure she was granted a supervisa?
Yes it is a supervisa, the category on her visa stamp says PG-1. Also, her first super visa entry in 2018 had a date stamp of 2 years, confirming it is a super visa.

I'm pretty sure this is an error made by the CBSA officer at the airport, Is there any way this can be rectified? Like I was thinking if I should use the webform and under technical difficulties, submit an explanation to what happened. But again, this option can only be used if I had sent an application. Any other way around this?

Please advise. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it is a supervisa, the category on her visa stamp says PG-1. Also, her first super visa entry in 2018 had a date stamp of 2 years, confirming it is a super visa.

I'm pretty sure this is an error made by the CBSA officer at the airport, Is there any way this can be rectified? Like I was thinking if I should use the webform and under technical difficulties, submit an explanation to what happened. But again, this option can only be used if I had sent an application. Any other way around this?

Please advise. Thanks!
No much you can do once you've already landed. Would apply for an extension pointing out the error.

Peaceful

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I called them and they pointed towards the remark made by the IRCC officer saying medical required for any extensions. They're saying her medical, which was done as part of her application in March 2018, is expired in March 2019, so need a new medical to stay longer than 6 months.

This is so bizarre and a scam tbh, pretty frustrated. I explained to the IRCC agent on the call saying:

1. Nowhere on your website you have this requirement saying you need a valid medical for every time you enter Canada and if you're planning to stay more than 6 months. The requirement is to provide a medical at the time of visa application, not every time you enter Canada. Especially when you make us buy our own health insurance, which I have bought btw. If anyone is aware of this requirement of a valid medical on each entry to Canada mentioned on IRCC website, please provide the link.

2. How come this requirement didn't come to play when she came to Canada last year in May 2019. Her medical was expired at that time as well, but no questions asked.

The Agent on the phone understood my frustration but obviously couldn't do much other than suggesting me to apply for an extension with having done medical exam.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I called them and they pointed towards the remark made by the IRCC officer saying medical required for any extensions. They're saying her medical, which was done as part of her application in March 2018, is expired in March 2019, so need a new medical to stay longer than 6 months.

This is so bizarre and a scam tbh, pretty frustrated. I explained to the IRCC agent on the call saying:

1. Nowhere on your website you have this requirement saying you need a valid medical for every time you enter Canada and if you're planning to stay more than 6 months. The requirement is to provide a medical at the time of visa application, not every time you enter Canada. Especially when you make us buy our own health insurance, which I have bought btw. If anyone is aware of this requirement of a valid medical on each entry to Canada mentioned on IRCC website, please provide the link.

2. How come this requirement didn't come to play when she came to Canada last year in May 2019. Her medical was expired at that time as well, but no questions asked.

The Agent on the phone understood my frustration but obviously couldn't do much other than suggesting me to apply for an extension with having done medical exam.
A medical can be asked for any extension and is very common. Your mother is a visitor in Canada and evaluating her health factors into her ability to remain in Canada. The longer it has been since her last medical the higher chance of needing to redo a medical. Supervisa insurance would not cover many hospitalizations so evaluating if someone is likely to need medical care while in Canada is very important. All visas are a privilege. Requiring parents to have health insurance to remain in Canada for longer periods is still a very good trade off and was done because many people weren't purchasing health insurance when it was up to them.

Itsmemairaj

Aug 28, 2018
Hi, does anyone know if the parents need to have a valid medical before the first entry into Canada? For example if they completed the medical in Aug 2020 and then granted the supervisa in March 2021, do they have to enter Canada before August 2021?

CBCDesi

Jul 8, 2019
Couple of questions:

1) When Applying for extension do they grant 6 months or 1 year for Super Visa that is valid? My mom has been here for almost 2 years.

2) My mom's super visa expires in about a year and 10 months, due to her passport date. I know passport can be renewed here but is there a possibility of renewing her Super Visa inland?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Couple of questions:

1) When Applying for extension do they grant 6 months or 1 year for Super Visa that is valid? My mom has been here for almost 2 years.

2) My mom's super visa expires in about a year and 10 months, due to her passport date. I know passport can be renewed here but is there a possibility of renewing her Super Visa inland?
You can ask for a certain amount of time but it is always dependent on IRCC it can be for weeks to usually a year.

2. No you can't renew a supervisa from Canada. Supervisas extensions will eventually be refused so it is likely your mother will need to return home before needing to apply for a new supervisa. Supervisas are not intended to allow parents to move to Canada.

purplereddd

Feb 12, 2022
it is more safe to apply for extension after 6 months since the border official said that she could only stay 6 months.

saaios

Dec 15, 2018
Anybody here waiting for their parents supervisa application to process since march 2020? its been way past the normal processing time. Not sure how to proceed.

Alex Murray

Sep 4, 2019
Hi, does anyone know if the parents need to have a valid medical before the first entry into Canada? For example if they completed the medical in Aug 2020 and then granted the supervisa in March 2021, do they have to enter Canada before August 2021?
Hey, did you figure this out? I’m in similar situation