+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa renewal after passport expiry

nehailan

Jul 2, 2017
I am applying super visa for my parents whose passport expires in January, 2025. The passports can be renewed only a year before the expiry and not earlier than that.

And super visa is granted for ten years or upto the passport expiry.
So if I apply now, they will get super visa only until January 2025. I have few questions in this regard.

1. Since just recently the new rule has come out that allows parents to stay for 5 years and get 2 years of extension, will I be able to get extension of 2 years in January 2025?
Or will I be able to get only 6 months extension?
2. Is there a way to renew the super visa without applying from scratch?
3. Curious, why IRCC does this? I mean a person could have gotten passport anytime, how can they just sanction visas till passport expiry. That just doesn't make sense.

All I am looking is for a way for them to be with me in Canada for a collective number of years(Hopefully 5 + 2 years as per the new rule) without having to go back and forth at this old age.

Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am applying super visa for my parents whose passport expires in January, 2025. The passports can be renewed only a year before the expiry and not earlier than that.

And super visa is granted for ten years or upto the passport expiry.
So if I apply now, they will get super visa only until January 2025. I have few questions in this regard.

1. Since just recently the new rule has come out that allows parents to stay for 5 years and get 2 years of extension, will I be able to get extension of 2 years in January 2025?
Or will I be able to get only 6 months extension?
2. Is there a way to renew the super visa without applying from scratch?
3. Curious, why IRCC does this? I mean a person could have gotten passport anytime, how can they just sanction visas till passport expiry. That just doesn't make sense.

All I am looking is for a way for them to be with me in Canada for a collective number of years(Hopefully 5 + 2 years as per the new rule) without having to go back and forth at this old age.

Please help.
1. This extension is only for stays in Canada. It's not for the super visa overall. Assuming she is in Canada, you'll be able to get an extension up to the validity of her passport. So if she applies for a new passport and has that at the time you apply for the extension (and is visiting Canada), she will be able to stay in Canada for up to another two years.
2. No. Brand new application.
3. I don't really understand this question however IRCC has a policy as it relates to all visas that they are only issued until passport expiry.

Reactions: dolfin

nehailan

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the quick response scylla.

1. So even the extension is possible only until the passport expiry date?
2. By any chance do you know if its possible to renew Indian passport citing any reason right now, i.e, 2 years before the expiry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

2. By any chance do you know if its possible to renew Indian passport citing any reason right now, i.e, 2 years before the expiry.
1. Yes, correct.
2. I don't know.

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015

@scylla already answered most of your Query
for point 2 for any country (as per I know ) passport can not be apply for renew before 12 month.
only exceptions are
- Your passport is damaged /LOST. (even in these scenario also some time it is issued till the lost/Damaged passport validity date as it comes under Miss. service )

Good Luck

Reactions: find_anand

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
1. This extension is only for stays in Canada. It's not for the super visa overall. Assuming she is in Canada, you'll be able to get an extension up to the validity of her passport. So if she applies for a new passport and has that at the time you apply for the extension (and is visiting Canada), she will be able to stay in Canada for up to another two years.
2. No. Brand new application.
3. I don't really understand this question however IRCC has a policy as it relates to all visas that they are only issued until passport expiry.
1- even if the visa expired (as per the initial passport expiry date), would they still be able to extend their stay- given that they issued a new passport after the visa was issued?

I’m in the same boat with my mom application, so any information would be greatly appreciated.