+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa related questions

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi experts,

this forum has been extremely helpful and thats how i managed to myself apply my PR and also managed to help a bunch of friends....so now when i have some questions around supervisa, i am hopeful the experts here can help.

1) If a person has visitor visa, can he/she apply for Super visa in parallel and while super visa is being process travel to Canada on visitor visa?
2) Is super visa tied to passport validity? Applicants passport is expiring in 2023. So does that mean post 2023 a fresh super visa application would be required to be filed? or Its just passport renewal and super visa gets transferred to new passport?
3) Provided answer to 1 is Yes, If the super visa application gets approved when the person is in Canada on tourist visa. Is it possible to get Super visa stamped or he/she would have to travel to home country to submit passport and get super visa stamped and again travel?
4) Considering super visa can be applied online, how does CIC ensure that the filing is done from outside or from within Canada?
5) May be this one is not for this section of forum, but i would try -> Do you know people who have ended up using the health insurance tied to super visa and still the insurance company continues /offers policy renewal (yeah may be premium might get increased but within logical limits is what am hoping). Considering its(super visa) for older people what if the local insurance companies do not renew insurance because now they consider you a vulnerable profile because of past hospitalization/previous claim in Canada?

thanks in anticipation

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi experts,

this forum has been extremely helpful and thats how i managed to myself apply my PR and also managed to help a bunch of friends....so now when i have some questions around supervisa, i am hopeful the experts here can help.

1) If a person has visitor visa, can he/she apply for Super visa in parallel and while super visa is being process travel to Canada on visitor visa?
2) Is super visa tied to passport validity? Applicants passport is expiring in 2023. So does that mean post 2023 a fresh super visa application would be required to be filed? or Its just passport renewal and super visa gets transferred to new passport?
3) Provided answer to 1 is Yes, If the super visa application gets approved when the person is in Canada on tourist visa. Is it possible to get Super visa stamped or he/she would have to travel to home country to submit passport and get super visa stamped and again travel?
4) Considering super visa can be applied online, how does CIC ensure that the filing is done from outside or from within Canada?
5) May be this one is not for this section of forum, but i would try -> Do you know people who have ended up using the health insurance tied to super visa and still the insurance company continues /offers policy renewal (yeah may be premium might get increased but within logical limits is what am hoping). Considering its(super visa) for older people what if the local insurance companies do not renew insurance because now they consider you a vulnerable profile because of past hospitalization/previous claim in Canada?

thanks in anticipation
1. Yes you can apply for different visas in parallel
3. Your parent would need to travel outside of Canada and reenter to validate the supervisa
4. Various ways from the way application is sent, to passport, flight manifests, social media, etc. Not following IRCC rules will lead to potential longterm issues so why risk it.
5. Like any insurance policy if you become too much of a liability you can certainly be dropped by the insurance company. Once stabilized in Canada you are expected to return home. Supervisa insurance is only emergency medical coverage. I assume both the health of your parent and/or the cost of the hospitalization will factor into whether you’ll be able to get supervisa coverage. A parents needs to do another medical to get extensions so that also factors into whether a parents can remain in Canada. Supervisas are visitor visas and aren’t meant for living in Canada permanently.

Reactions: anti_maniac

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for detailed answers
@5, yeah it is not meant for living in canada permanently....for lack of not an easy way to get permanent resident status for parents (limited applications/lottery etc). I guess lot of people see this as a way to keep them here longer till there is a possibility to get them permanent status (win the PR lottery). Anyhow i get the point you are making and i do acknowledge the message that its not for permanent stay

@4 i understand, the idea was not to cheat the system....but to weigh in if the candidate should apply before travelling on visitor visa or do it when here. Considering the answer to point 1 is positive. I believe i would ensure they apply before they travel on visitor visa.

thanks again ( can somebody throw light on point 2?)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks for detailed answers
@5, yeah it is not meant for living in canada permanently....for lack of not an easy way to get permanent resident status for parents (limited applications/lottery etc). I guess lot of people see this as a way to keep them here longer till there is a possibility to get them permanent status (win the PR lottery). Anyhow i get the point you are making and i do acknowledge the message that its not for permanent stay

@4 i understand, the idea was not to cheat the system....but to weigh in if the candidate should apply before travelling on visitor visa or do it when here. Considering the answer to point 1 is positive. I believe i would ensure they apply before they travel on visitor visa.

thanks again ( can somebody throw light on point 2?)
You can't apply for a supervisa from Canada. Lots of people try to extend a supervisa or TRv as soon as possible thinking they will get PR and never have to go home but when the supervisa or TRV extension is eventually denied or their parent gets very sick people have not planned for the eventuality

Reactions: anti_maniac

Manbirkaur23

Aug 27, 2018
I have a question her. Do I need to have any minimum stay to file my parents super Visa?
Like my annual salary meets the critera, but my T4 has less amount as I only landed last year October.
Can I still file my parents super Visa