+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Questions

omek07

Oct 18, 2013
Victoria, BC
Hello my Name is Odysseas,

I would like to ask some questions for the Super Visa

Long story - short my in laws are here in Canada and they are going to leave in May 18th to go back to Greece.

We want to apply for Super Visa at the end of July because at that time they are going to renew their passport.

Now my questions :

1st Can we apply for 5 years Super Visa ( Passport last 5 years) ?

2nd In the Supporting documents ( Online Application ) asks for " Purpose of Travel - Other (required)"
I thought that when you apply for super visa you can stay up to 2 years per visit. I dont think that airport companies can book you tickets after 2 years .

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
Hello my Name is Odysseas,

I would like to ask some questions for the Super Visa

Long story - short my in laws are here in Canada and they are going to leave in May 18th to go back to Greece.

We want to apply for Super Visa at the end of July because at that time they are going to renew their passport.

Now my questions :

1st Can we apply for 5 years Super Visa ( Passport last 5 years) ?

2nd In the Supporting documents ( Online Application ) asks for " Purpose of Travel - Other (required)"
I thought that when you apply for super visa you can stay up to 2 years per visit. I dont think that airport companies can book you tickets after 2 years .
Hi,

1. Generally passport validity is 10 years. TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) is issued for 10 years. Super Visa is just a subset of TRV.

2. Purpose of Travel is mandatory document. You may provide a high level travel itinerary and may include a return flight ticket departing from Canada to home country. The return ticket can be book at no cost from many websites. Try to show the stay for about 1 year. Explain the situation inn LOE (Letter of Explanation) that you have not paid for the return tickets, however once you get the visa, you will pay the return ticket.

Good Luck

Reactions: omek07

omek07

Oct 18, 2013
Victoria, BC
Hi,

1. Generally passport validity is 10 years. TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) is issued for 10 years. Super Visa is just a subset of TRV.

2. Purpose of Travel is mandatory document. You may provide a high level travel itinerary and may include a return flight ticket departing from Canada to home country. The return ticket can be book at no cost from many websites. Try to show the stay for about 1 year. Explain the situation inn LOE (Letter of Explanation) that you have not paid for the return tickets, however once you get the visa, you will pay the return ticket.

Good Luck
Thank you very much for your answer.

So when we do the super visa application and at the section that asks for how long do you plan to stay can i put 5 years ??? (5 years because the Greek Passport Validity is 5 years)

I know that the Purpose of Travel is mandatory. But if they want to stay for 2 years and then leave for couple months and then return again ?
Can we use the Purpose of Travel letter to explain them whats the situation and why they can't have a return ticket ?

Lets say that my in laws want to leave after a year and they want to return after 3 months (Like vacation) can they return here in Canada with the same TRV correct ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for your answer.

So when we do the super visa application and at the section that asks for how long do you plan to stay can i put 5 years ??? (5 years because the Greek Passport Validity is 5 years)

I know that the Purpose of Travel is mandatory. But if they want to stay for 2 years and then leave for couple months and then return again ?
Can we use the Purpose of Travel letter to explain them whats the situation and why they can't have a return ticket ?

Lets say that my in laws want to leave after a year and they want to return after 3 months (Like vacation) can they return here in Canada with the same TRV correct ?
You need to select over 6 months for travel duration. You don’t need a return ticket or detailed itinerary for supervisa. You should delay applying for a supervisa if your parents have just returned from Canada if they have spent a decent amount of time in Canada. Supervisa is still a visitor visa. When they are in Canada on a supervisa they can try to extend their stay in Canada but when they return home the need to reestablish their ties to their home country and shouldn’t return to Canada right away. Should also note your parents can only bring a 3 month supply of medication. You can’t send medication through the mail. They will need to pay to visit a Canadian doctor and get their prescriptions in Canada.

omek07

Oct 18, 2013
Victoria, BC
You need to select over 6 months for travel duration. You don’t need a return ticket or detailed itinerary for supervisa. You should delay applying for a supervisa if your parents have just returned from Canada if they have spent a decent amount of time in Canada. Supervisa is still a visitor visa. When they are in Canada on a supervisa they can try to extend their stay in Canada but when they return home the need to reestablish their ties to their home country and shouldn’t return to Canada right away. Should also note your parents can only bring a 3 month supply of medication. You can’t send medication through the mail. They will need to pay to visit a Canadian doctor and get their prescriptions in Canada.
Hello if I don't have to use ticket or itinerary what should I write in the purpose of travel?

How long do you think they have to stay in their home country ?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello if I don't have to use ticket or itinerary what should I write in the purpose of travel?

How long do you think they have to stay in their home country ?
Purpose of visit is visit family. All depends on how long the were in Canada. If they have visited for 2 years I would wait 6+ months.

omek07

Oct 18, 2013
Victoria, BC
Purpose of visit is visit family. All depends on how long the were in Canada. If they have visited for 2 years I would wait 6+ months.
No no they are visited just for 5 months .

They got their Visitor Extension till the end of 2019 but they have to leave for 4 months .

At the end of July we were thinking to apply for Super Visa in order to be able to come here at the end of September.

In the application of Super Visa can we ask for 5 years super visa ??

21singh

Jun 12, 2017
TORONTO
Category........
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
14-04-2018
LANDED..........
27-06-2018
No no they are visited just for 5 months .

They got their Visitor Extension till the end of 2019 but they have to leave for 4 months .

At the end of July we were thinking to apply for Super Visa in order to be able to come here at the end of September.

In the application of Super Visa can we ask for 5 years super visa ??
As per my understanding, you can apply for Super Visa @ July end.
Super Visa is issued for 10 years or expiry of the passport.

omek07

Oct 18, 2013
Victoria, BC
Hello everyone again,

I am filling the application now and i have again the Same question.

At the DETAILS OF VISIT TO CANADA

Question # 2 Indicate how long you plan to Stay , CAN I put 5 years ( in 5 years their passport expire)

I am a little bit confused because in the Super Visa site they have this :

A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IRCC decides how long the visa length will be based on a few factors but you are given up to 2 years to stay in Canada once you land.

The question they are asking is how long do your parents want to stay between 0 to 2 years to determine if a TRV or a supervisa is more appropriate. If your parents say 2 years it will be determined whether they get approved for a supervisa. You have no say about how long the visa will last. Your parents should not have a passport that expires soon because that will influence the length of the visa.