+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa Health Insurance

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
I am not sure about limitations for short visit with Super Visa. There is monthly payment plan for Super Visa Insurance.
This plan charge $50 extra.
http://www.arbetovinsurance.com/shopping-for-super-visa-insurance/

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The monthly plan you are referring to is 21st century underwritten by Manulife. You have to keep in mind that this plan does not meet the requirements of the super visa. The super visa requirement is one must purchase insurance for one year up front. With a monthly plan and the new biometrics requirements there will be lots of deportation orders and cancelled super visa's. This is already a problem as people try to travel with cancelled insurance certificates or don't renew their super visa insurance after one year. With a monthly plan what will happen is once someone is in Canada they will simply stop paying the monthly premium, that is why Citizenship and Immigration Canada require one to purchase insurance for one year paid for up front. Immigration fraud is a big problem in this country and insurance brokers are required to comply with legislation including the requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Dear Garry,

Thank you for the your opinion and for the participation in discussion.
I am not sure if you are immigration lawyer or immigration consultant.
Or may be you are working as Canadian immigration authority ?
I simply rely what I hear from insurance companies.
But, if you insist, I can verify with them again.
I will let you know when I get an official reply from them.
Thank you.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am an insurance broker. I have also been involved in politics in Canada. As a Canadian I share the feelings and sentiment of many other Canadians that do not want their healthcare tax dollars to pay for people that abuse our system and commit immigration fraud. My background is compliance so yes I am very familiar with the regulatory requirements in financial services and have been published on this issue in the investment and insurance journal. Canada is a free country so you are free to run your business as you like, personally how you run your business is off little concern to me. What I have stated is not my opinion but actual facts based on the requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Abertove Insurance is not an authority in Canada on immigration, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is. If you feel you are the authority that is your opinion, I refer people to the source for immigration. I am not qualified to give medical or legal advice to clients on matters of immigration. I have gathered information for my clients to assist them in complying with the Super Visa and Visitors Visa requirements. I must confess to date I have very few refunds that I had to issue to my clients applying for a Super Visa because they get approved. Who knows maybe it is because I do not sell monthly payment plans for their super visa medical insurance.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
Does the insurance, which is for one year, need to start at the date of application or the date of expected arrival?
What is the minimum coverage required?

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The insurance starts when one begins their trip to Canada which is the departure date. The policy is paid for up front and submitted with the application and is on hold until the visa is approved, the flight is booked and one begins their trip.

Here is the direct link to my site FAQ for super visa, if you need further information.

http://www.stone-hedgefinancialgroup.ca/super-visa-insurance-FAQ

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
As I know for the monthly plan for Super Visa was approved by CIC.
http://supervisabestinsurance.com/monthly-payments-for-super-visa-insurance/

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC requires the insurance to be purchased for one year. In order to buy coverage for one year it has to be paid for up front. When purchasing insurance on monthly plan and paying for one month or two month does not meet the requirements of a Super Visa. I also sell monthly plans from some companies but these policies cannot be used for a super visa.

Please provide specific link to CIC. You can't because it does not exist monthly plans are not permitted for a super visa. I personally have little regard for your opinions, the only source of information is Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Which states SUPER VISA HEALTH INSURANCE HAS TO BE PURCHASED FOR ONE YEAR.

MadInHalifax

Mar 1, 2016
As per MANULIFE (PLAN A) you dont have any prexisting condition before you buy insurance
after you buy the insurance and you have emergency situation... and if similar situation comes again due to same reason it will marked as PRE EXISTING and will not be covered later.

Ex 1 . you break your leg and you go to hospital. First Manulife should accept that case and mostly they will cover some percentage of that case.
After a month if you have pain due to leg that you broke earlier it will be PRE EXISTING condition this time.

Ex 2. You have to go for medical test and x ray required to renew your travel visa. It will not be covered.

Ex 3 Fever, Cold and other body aches are covered case by case basis. Manulife will ask for exhaustive documentation and you have to pay your doctor to get that documentation in Canada.

I would suggest to do an exhaustive analysis before you go for Manulife.

Haitokin said:
I too, am an independent travel insurance broker, who specializes in travel insurance, including visitors to Canada travel health insurance. And Gary is correct: the two documents that are required are the 'confirmation of coverage' that has the policy number, coverage details and the insured person's name on it; and a copy of the complete policy wording so that coverage details can be reviewed to ensure that the policy is from a Canadian company, and offers the required forms of coverage (health, hospital and repatriation benefits). These two documents are provided by the insurance company or your broker/insurance agent upon purchase - whether that's from a broker that operates a comparable quote website (me), or one that doesn't (Gary).

I'm surprised that if Gary 'shops around at all the companies', he doesn't deal with Manulife - now the single largest provider of travel insurance in Canada - just passing RBC this last year. In the 'super visa' department, they have competitive rates. Plan A offers no coverage for illnesses related to pre-existing medical conditions. So noone should buy that sort of policy unless they know absolutely beyond a doubt, that the person who will be insured doesn't have any pre-existing medical conditions. Ask them to find out before buying a policy for another person. If you don't, that's where mistakes can be made - and they can be costly mistakes. Manulife's Plan B costs more, but it MAY cover pre-existing medical conditions, depending on...(please always refer to the exact language in the policy) and don't accept paraphrasing...whether the person's conditions meet the proper definitions - just like in any travel insurance policy.
Manulife's Plan B is, for age groups 80-84, the only company available that will insure pre-ex simply by accepting the stated eligibility requirements - without direct underwriting. Manulife also allows larger discounts than most companies for using higher deductibles with the policy. That's an important consideration for lots of super visa applicants, because their first trip here is not planned for the full year and they will want to apply for a refund. Refunds for the unused insurance is only provided as long as there has been no claim on the policy - so submitting a small claim voids any possible refund - which could be in excess of $1000. In that case, often using a larger deductible makes sense. So why Gary doesn't at least let his clients see what Manulife has to offer - I can't understand.

I'm not loyal to any one company though - far from it. We look at over ten Canadian companies, and we do present their rates online for anyone to see - and all the exact policy wording as well. That of course doesn't include direct medical underwriting - when someone provides a complete run down of all pre-existing medical conditions - and gets a personalized quote that ensures they have solid coverage - we do that too - but most people won't ever have to go through those steps to get their travel health insurance for their super visa application. And the idea that a quote is only valid for 90 days? It's only good for as long as your age doesn't change, and the company doesn't change it's rates. Gary seems to be alluding to him being able to do a better job than an 'online' service? I have an online service, because it helps me do a better job. Better at highlighting exact differences in policy wording, what to watch out for, and to enable me to tell someone what the best rates can be given their situation and use of a certain deductible.
You won't beat the rates, or the service. contact admin @ bestquotetravelinsurance.ca or just google: super visa insurance.

Aside from TIC, Travel Underwriters (Platinum), and Manulife Plan B, the other company that offers coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, that just announced on December 13th that they are entering the 'super visa insurance market' is GMS. On the 19th, they announced that they will allow persons age 55+ to have polices for 365 days (it was limited to 180), and their rates are very competitive. So that's good news! Rates for most ages 60-79 will becoming down!
I will endeavour to keep posting informative comments on the changing super visa insurance 'industry', including comments from my clients concerning their experiences at application time, and at their port of entry. Hopefully that promise will keep my posts alive! ie. please don't delete I'm trying to be helpful!

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are many Insurance Companies offering travel insurance for visitors to Canada. As with everything prices have started to rise also as a company gets better claims history for these policies I also found price increases due to high claims.

Regarding what the policy actually pays for is in the policy wording. Insurance Companies decide what claims are paid or denied not brokers so I don't think it is appropriate to comment on this site. This information may be misleading.

Unfortunately not all horror stories make headlines in mainstream media but since we are approaching halloween I will share one with you.

While at the doggy park with my dog a nice person who knew me asked me about travel insurance for their Dad visiting in Canada. He was very upset. I asked which company, it was 21th Century. I asked what happened? The man told me he purchased insurance from a broker in serving his ethnic community then his father had a stroke and was hospitalized. He filled a claim with 21st Century and he told me it was denied because it excluded cardiovascular, no coverage for stroke. His medical bill was over $80,000. I am sure the regulator will get a complaint and the broker and/or insurance company may face civil litigation.

Who was negligent, the agent, the insurance company or the visitor to Canada who probably could not speak a word or english or the sponsor who knew nothing about insurance. The policy clearly states it excludes cardiovascular so Manulife had every right to deny this claim as any other insurance company would and just like any other company it will state that in order to keep the premiums affordable and fair for all others it will deny claims for medical emergencies excluded and not covered by the policy. The agent is probably affiliated with an ethnic MGA that receives higher compensation from 21th Century than from other companies, so it need to meet its volume target, if claims are denied it is ok they have errors and ommissions insurance to pay for that.

I am sure there will be a blame game it is always somebody else who is at fault. Now I personally feel it was the agent who is the most liable. First like many insurance brokers they are too aggressive and have complete disregard for anything other than their own compensation. The agent is not forced to sell policies with exclusions that the client needs covered, or is forced to deal with one MGA, they have a choice. As a broker they owe a duty of care to their clients, I personally refuse to insure some individuals especially with a history of heart problems. The kids are often aggressive in getting their parents here to visit without understanding that their parents health does not permit travel.

So please this is a site to assist people not market garbage of who is the greatest or which company is the best, and yes I still don't deal with Manulife for travel insurance. I found better value from other insurance companies for my client needs. It is my choice as a broker to deal with whoever I choose for my clients needs.

Bala007

Jan 7, 2013
Hello

I have applied for my mother supervisa.She got the visa 2 weeks ago But we had change of plans forobvious reasons.

So I want to cancel the insurance...but insurance provider is giving me tough time cancelling..after a long back and forth now they r asking my motherspassport copies of all pages ... literally they want the visa copy

I told them I got the visa and agreed to pay a 150$ fee for cancellation

Is it normal insurance providers asking for visa copy . And is it secure to give the visa copy to them

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you