+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa for parent / parent already in Canada

luiselopez

May 17, 2012
We applied for a super visa for my mother in December 2023, she gave her biometrics. Then my mother came to Canada with us as a tourist, we are from Mexico and in January of 2024 she could still enter Canada as a visitor and then our plan was, when she gets a response from the Canadian Embassy we would just go back to Mexico, if she gets the super visa approved we come back and she enters with that visa.
But things changed drastically for us with the new visa requirements for Mexicans, now my mother's eta was cancelled, she got an email from the government saying that her ETA is cancelled but she can stay in Canada for up to six months as a tourist.
Our concern is, if the Canadian embassy asks her for a medical exam, we go to Mexico to do it and then they take a long time to process the super visa, then she would have to stay there alone.
Does anybody know if a medical exam for someone who is applying for a super visa could be done in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We applied for a super visa for my mother in December 2023, she gave her biometrics. Then my mother came to Canada with us as a tourist, we are from Mexico and in January of 2024 she could still enter Canada as a visitor and then our plan was, when she gets a response from the Canadian Embassy we would just go back to Mexico, if she gets the super visa approved we come back and she enters with that visa.
But things changed drastically for us with the new visa requirements for Mexicans, now my mother's eta was cancelled, she got an email from the government saying that her ETA is cancelled but she can stay in Canada for up to six months as a tourist.
Our concern is, if the Canadian embassy asks her for a medical exam, we go to Mexico to do it and then they take a long time to process the super visa, then she would have to stay there alone.
Does anybody know if a medical exam for someone who is applying for a super visa could be done in Canada?
Your mother is a visitor so there are no guarantees that she can live in Canada so she should have a place to live and a plan B for when she has to return to Mexico. How long have you been living in Canada and when did you get PR? How long had you been living in Canada before receiving PR? When did your mother first apply for a TRV and what is her history of visiting Canada? How old is she and is she able to care for herself for example able to fix simple meals, bathe and dress herself, clean her home with or without help, shop foe household goods herself or through delivery options, etc. Does she have any family in Mexico? Are you an only child or does she have children? Does she have a medical condition that requires routine doctor visits and treatment for which may result in not passing the IRCC medical? She can do the medical in Canada but the cost will be higher. Given that she is a visitor her ability to visit Canada indefinitely is not guaranteed and if she is granted a supervisa she will need to qualify for supervisa insurance to continue visiting for another year. At a certain point she will be expected to return home so you should have plans in place if/when she needs to return to Mexico.

luiselopez

May 17, 2012
My mother had two children but my sister passed away in October of 2021, so, now I'm her only child. My father already passed away.
I mentioned that because you asked if I was only child.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mother had two children but my sister passed away in October of 2021, so, now I'm her only child. My father already passed away.
I mentioned that because you asked if I was only child.
The fact that you are an only child and your mother is a widow may help if ever you are attempting to have your mother stay based on H&C reasons but that doesn’t guarantee she will be able to remain in Canada. Depending on when you move to Canada you also should have a longterm plan for how your mother would be able to live in Mexico. Her ability to live independently is typically the most important factor. The length of the supervisa is leading to some confusion and the false sense that this means a parent is able to move to Canada permanently which is not the case.