+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super visa for parent of Canadian on ODSP

njab

Jul 14, 2018
My daughter is on ODSP due to severe disability and in Canada since 2022. How can she send invitation letter to me to apply for super visa to visit her? my 2 TRVs have been rejected earlier as my ex-husband applied for a refugee claim in 2003(including me). I have travelled to more than 11 countries in past 10 years including USA. please guide as i need to see my daughter.
Note: I have checked CIC website which only says that ODSP is not restricted from applying however there is no process or details defined on the webpage.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My daughter is on ODSP due to severe disability and in Canada since 2022. How can she send invitation letter to me to apply for super visa to visit her? my 2 TRVs have been rejected earlier as my ex-husband applied for a refugee claim in 2003(including me). I have travelled to more than 11 countries in past 10 years including USA. please guide as i need to see my daughter.
Note: I have checked CIC website which only says that ODSP is not restricted from applying however there is no process or details defined on the webpage.
She needs to meet LICO for the number of people in her family including you. If she is on ODSP, I assume she isn’t working to meet LICO. If so, you are not eligible for a supervisa. All you can do is apply for a TRV.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the advice you have been given above.

A super visa is not an option for you since your daughter will not meet the income requirements to qualify as a sponsor. A regular TRV is the only option.

A super visa will only be an option once your daughter starts working and stops taking ODSP - and can meet the income requirements.

The process for applying for a super visa is clearly defined on the IRCC website, including the income requirements your daughter would need to meet to qualify as a sponsor: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/parent-grandparent-super-visa/eligibility.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You could try TRV if you have enough financial proof (under your name) since you have travel and returned back to your home country.
Do you have other home tie like job and family to come back to?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello there, I am currently on long-term disability following an accident. However, I am still officially employed and I can provide an employment letter and proof of funds if needed. However, my only concern is that I receive my pay through my LTD plan, so I don't have a regular pay stub. Can I still apply for a super visa for my mother? @YVR123 @legalfalcon
Do you meet LICO for the number of people in your family based on your income through CRA? That is what is considered for a supervisa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello there, I am currently on long-term disability following an accident. However, I am still officially employed and I can provide an employment letter and proof of funds if needed. However, my only concern is that I receive my pay through my LTD plan, so I don't have a regular pay stub. Can I still apply for a super visa for my mother? @YVR123 @legalfalcon
Proof of funds / bank balances are not considered for LICO for super visas. You need to show you have income that meets or exceeds LICO covering yourself, any dependents, and your parent(s). Does your actual income meet or exceed LICO?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do I need to count myself as well even though I have a PR?
Yes, you need to count yourself of course. Also your spouse / common law partner and minor children if you have them.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Ritzy1234

Nov 21, 2023
No its just myself and my mother - so if i have an employee letter stating my annual income and also T4 letter - it should be enough to prove the LICO?

Ritzy1234

Nov 21, 2023
Your NOA is the best document, as it states your annual income. Your T4 will show that you meet LICO too. Future income doesn’t count.
"I have my Notice of Assessment from last year which shows my full-time income before my accident, along with a letter of employment stating my income. However, my paystubs indicate $0 as I received my pay through LTD benefits following the accident. Is this acceptable? Additionally, I'm not sure what reason I should give in the letter of invitation for my mother to come here. I need her here for health reasons, but can I mention this in the letter?"

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
"I have my Notice of Assessment from last year which shows my full-time income before my accident, along with a letter of employment stating my income. However, my paystubs indicate $0 as I received my pay through LTD benefits following the accident. Is this acceptable? Additionally, I'm not sure what reason I should give in the letter of invitation for my mother to come here. I need her here for health reasons, but can I mention this in the letter?"
You can try but IRCC will be posting LICO income for this year plus will be expecting you to show NOA for 2023 not 2022. If you say you need her for health reasons then that may be considered work.

Reactions: YVR123