Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I've few questions re: extension on Super Visa. Does the extension only apply to regular visit visa parents or super visa parents who got less than 2-year stay permit at POE? Or, it applies to everyone including parents who have been staying here for almost 2 years.

In my case, my mom is here in Canada with me on her 2nd visit (Super Visa). Here's her situation:

- My mom's 2 year stay permit (stamped at POE) is expiring on 31-Oct-2016
- My mom's Super Visa (5 year) is expiring on 20-Jan-2017
- My mom's passport is expiring on 21-Jan-2017

Under these circumstances, what would be best if I want her to stay for another 8 months minimum? For instance, if I renew her passport from here and then apply for an extension in Aug, 2016 (at least 30-day prior to expiry); will she be considered to have another 1-year permit? I'm aware that she won't be granted new Super Visa from within Canada. For that, she needs to go back to our home country and apply from there.

BTW, I've applied to sponsor her under PGP in 2015.

broham

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singpore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
06-May-2016
AOR Received.
03-Jun-2016
File Transfer...
14-Jun-2016
Med's Request
11-Jul-2016
Med's Done....
19-July-2016 & 14-Sep-2016 (Had to do it twice)
Passport Req..
02-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-Sep-2016
LANDED..........
Weekend of Oct 22
Hi Rossei,

Anyone with a visitor or super visa can apply for an extension. My mother arrived Canada with a regular visitor visa, we extended her visitor visa twice without any problem. She arrived on Dec 2013, stayed for 6 months. Her first extension was approved in June 2014, she was allowed to stay until March 2015. We applied for the second extension in Jan 2015, this time she had to go for a medical exam. She was granted another extension to stay in Canada up until December 2016. She'll be here over 3 years in total. We were thinking about applying for another extension, but my mom made her decision that she wants to go back home to see her dentist and go for regular medical check up, so she'll go back in November 2016. Her visitor visa just expired, so she will be applying for a super visa when she goes back. While she was here her passport expired and we renewed her passport from within Canada before the second extension application.

We applied for her sponsorship and made the cap for 2015 quota. Ideally I would like her to stay here as long as she can until the sponsorship process is done, but it could take 10 years.. LOL
To be honest, I'm not sure if she will get another visitor visa when she's now part of the 2015 PGP quota.

To answer your question, you can apply an extension for 8 month or as long as you think it's reasonable. keep me us posted. ;)

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Seems like I forgot to thank broham.

Anyway, I will appreciate if someone can answer this for me:
My mom's situation remains same as mentioned above. If she leaves Canada for few months in coming Spring to go back to our home country and comes back late in August, will she be be allowed 1 or even 2 year stay permit at POE? She will have a renewed passport but her Supervisa will still expire in 5 months. Staying for 3 months may not be enough to get a new Supervisa as it's taking longer everyday.

kaka555

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
Rossie,
I think if you are having a visitor visa and if you enter the country even 10 days before the expiry of visa, you are allowed to stay for next 6 months. As in 2011 I was having single entry visa from 18-04-2011 to 15-10-2011 I entered on 19 July 2011 the officer at air port allowed and written on my passport for stay upto 18 Jan 2012(6 months from the date of entry). That may be visitor visa or Super Visa

kaka555

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hi Broham,

Why you think PGP application 2015 will take 10 years to process. I think you will be getting your application processed by June/July 2017

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kaka555 said:
Hi Broham,

Why you think PGP application 2015 will take 10 years to process. I think you will be getting your application processed by June/July 2017
There's no way it will take only two year for a 2015 application. Four years minimum is reasonable. Keep in mind that the Liberals have increased the number of applications accepted. Accepting only 5K applications per year was supposed to get processing times down to 4 years. So it's safe to assume the increased application cap will mean processing times are at least four years.

kaka555

Star Member
Mar 24, 2016
scylla said:
There's no way it will take only two year for a 2015 application. Four years minimum is reasonable. Keep in mind that the Liberals have increased the number of applications accepted. Accepting only 5K applications per year was supposed to get processing times down to 4 years. So it's safe to assume the increased application cap will mean processing times are at least four years.
Hi Scylla,
What is the difference on 2015 application? Your application will be processed without considering the increased number of applications. Pl. read my post under KAKA555 at page 270 of tips for 2016 PGP(future) application forum. I am presuming that some of the applications of 2016 will also be processed by the year ending 2017.
You are not viewing regularly the spreadsheets of 2014 & 2015 there you see a number of persons got sponsorship approval along with medical and pass port request and even there are cases quoted of 2015 that reached to processed.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I'm posting this in case anyone searches for such resolution.

So, my mom went back to Bangladesh with my wife and kid in May, 2016 for 2 months. I joined them early this month and came back all together yesterday. My mom got a new passport from Bangladesh. Here's what happened when we reached Pearson:

There were 2 separate line-ups for residents and visitors to Canada at Pearson. I chose to go to the visitor section. Although my brain was almost shutting down from 5 hour flight + 9 hour transit + 15 hour flight with a 16-month infant, I was looking for a friendly face at the passport control. Anyway, we were called by an elderly man with long beard (biker's type). I explained my mom's situation to him. He said he cannot allow anyone to have more than 6-month stay permit but the people at immigration can. Judging by his comments, I guess they were only CBSA officers. After he stamped our Canadian passports, he told us to go to immigration section which I hoped that it exists but didn't know where. Anyway, there was a big room with multiple booths right after one crosses passport control before going downstairs for baggage claims.

So, we lined up again in that room. Soon we were called by a female officer. She checked all our passports. She asked for my mom's medical insurance. I bought it before I left Canada. I was also carrying proof of my income. She asked me how long my mom stayed on her last visit to Canada (which was less than 2 years). After she was satisfied, she stamped her 2-year stay permit. She also explained that as long she has a valid visa and can present medical insurance paper, she will be allowed to stay for 2 years. But when her visa expires, she has to get one before she comes here again. BTW, my mom got a new passport from Bangladesh as her old one was expiring in Jan, 2017 (SV was expiring at same time as well).

I was a bit worried that they might want her recent medical test results (which I wanted to do while we were in Bangladesh but couldn't for various reasons). Also, there was the fear of them telling me to apply for visa extension. Fortunately, I didn't have to argue with anyone. As her PR application is in-process now, I'm glad that I don't have to apply for any extension for the time being.

Roah

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
@rossei

Hi,
My Dad has almost the same case as your Mom.
I need some advice and information, and thank you in advance

My Parents are here visiting on a super visa,
They arrived last January 2015, their 2 year stay will be up in January 26,2017

My Dad's TRV expires this October 31,2016
My Mom's on September 5,2017

I am confused what to do,

So my Dad needs to re-apply another super Visa?
Or
Can they both apply for extension? Another 2 year stay?
Can someone apply for Super Visa outside of Canada? While the applicants stay and wait in Canada?
Pls enlighten me.
Thank you

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Roah said:
@rossei

Hi,
My Dad has almost the same case as your Mom.
I need some advice and information, and thank you in advance

My Parents are here visiting on a super visa,
They arrived last January 2015, their 2 year stay will be up in January 26,2017

My Dad's TRV expires this October 31,2016
My Mom's on September 5,2017

I am confused what to do,

So my Dad needs to re-apply another super Visa?
Or
Can they both apply for extension? Another 2 year stay?
Can someone apply for Super Visa outside of Canada? While the applicants stay and wait in Canada?
Pls enlighten me.
Thank you
If your dad leaves Canada before his permit expires, he will have to get another TRV/SV to enter Canada. And one cannot apply for TRV/SV within Canada. I doubt if one can apply for it outside Canada while s/he stays in Canada.

But your parents can certainly apply for an extension for a maximum of 2 years. They will require to to do medical. It's better to do the medical in advance and attach the report with the extension application package. Also, renew their passports if they need to.

Roah

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Thank you so much for the reply
So it us okay and legal for someone ( like my Dad ) to stay even if his TRV expires ?
So do I have to exrebd it before October ( super visa expiry ) ? Or wait 30 days before January ( 2 year stay ) ?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Roah said:
Thank you so much for the reply
So it us okay and legal for someone ( like my Dad ) to stay even if his TRV expires?
Yes, as long as he has a valid stay permit stamp on his passport. FYI, a VISA allows you to enter Canada but a STAY PERMIT defines how long you can stay in Canada.

So do I have to exrebd it before October ( super visa expiry )? Or wait 30 days before January ( 2 year stay )?
You have to apply at least 30 days prior to his stay permit of 2 years expires (Jan, 2017). But I would recommend to apply at least 2 months before that (with medical). As I hear, it takes 2~3 months for extension approval.

Roah

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
That makes sense,
We plan on sponsoring them for PR and applying in January,
So we would want them to stay by then...
So as long as they dont leave Canada, it wont matter if TRV is expired?
We just have to make sure the visitor status is valid, he doesn't have a stamp, so that means maximum lf 2 years stay ( accdg to CIC )

Thanks you so much for the information:)
I can't get through cic, ive been phoning

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Roah said:
That makes sense,
We plan on sponsoring them for PR and applying in January,
So we would want them to stay by then...
So as long as they dont leave Canada, it wont matter if TRV is expired?
As I said before, their stay permit (stamp) has to be valid (TRV/SV won't matter).

We just have to make sure the visitor status is valid, he doesn't have a stamp, so that means maximum lf 2 years stay ( accdg to CIC )
This is a confusing matter. By default, it means 6 months if no stamp given at POE. Some may argue that it's 2 years for SV. I've seen people in this forum with similar situation like your dad go to nearby CIC office in order to validate their stay permit for 2 years (as they were not given any stamp on entry). Some didn't bother and considered 2 years for SV (don't know if they ran into trouble later).

Alien_walkingalone

Jul 9, 2015
Hi , I have a question for you . During your moms first travel to Canada , did the immigration officer stamp on her passport? Like any date that how long she could stay? From your comments I understood that you were aware about the two years of expiry. Please let me know and thank you in advanced