+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa confusion

junketsu

Mar 23, 2015
Hello, I am now a permanent resident and I want to bring my parents to live in Canada. They're in Costa Rica at the moment.

It is my understanding that one requirement for sponsorship is to have three years of Canadian taxes done. Since I just became a permanent resident, it means I cannot apply at all until after three years, right?

... so meanwhile, I have considered a Super Visa. I don't really understand the concept: everyone says that it is valid for 10 years, but it only serves for 2 years? What? What does that even mean? Can they live in Canada for 10 years? For 2 years? What happens after 2 years? Do they have to return to Costa Rica? Then what, they cannot return until 8 years later? I don't get it.

prforme

Aug 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ndvo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-jan-2015
AOR Received.
17-apr-2015
IELTS Request
Ip on 9 Oct 2015
File Transfer...
24-mar-2015
Med's Request
Remed req 14_12_2015
Med's Done....
10-dec-2014
Passport Req..
DM on 10 Jan 16 n ppr 11 jan 16
junketsu said:
Hello, I am now a permanent resident and I want to bring my parents to live in Canada. They're in Costa Rica at the moment.

It is my understanding that one requirement for sponsorship is to have three years of Canadian taxes done. Since I just became a permanent resident, it means I cannot apply at all until after three years, right?

... so meanwhile, I have considered a Super Visa. I don't really understand the concept: everyone says that it is valid for 10 years, but it only serves for 2 years? What? What does that even mean? Can they live in Canada for 10 years? For 2 years? What happens after 2 years? Do they have to return to Costa Rica? Then what, they cannot return until 8 years later? I don't get it.

Super visa to be taken once for multiple entry of 10 years . like USA has 6 mths visitor visa , Canada has it for 2 yrs for this super visa .hope it is clear now

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
junketsu said:

Its a multiple entry visa valid for 10 years since issuance. Each stay is limited to 2 years in duration after which your parents must exit Canada or request an extension of stay.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
junketsu said:
Like US, Canada allows Visitors to stay maximum for 6 months upon visa validity (or stay permit issued at POE) unless one applies for an extension. CIC introduced Super Visa for parents/grandparents (during PGP pause) with which they can stay maximum for 2 years unless it's restricted by POE officer or visa validity or one applies for an extension later.

Also, Super Visa is issued up to the expiry of your passport (maximum of 10 years). If your passport is only valid for 5 more years, you will get 5 years Super Visa.

Like others said, it's a multi-entry visit visa which means you can enter-exit Canada anytime you want (providing medical insurance each time you enter) and you are allowed to stay for a maximum of 2 years period unless POE officer writes otherwise.

In a nutshell, the only major difference in outcome is that your parents can stay for 2 years upon each entry instead of 6 months with Super Visa. The other noteworthy difference in applying for it is that it's little easier to get compared to visit visa.

SAM_2014

Oct 17, 2015
Visa Office......
London (Previous MCH Current BWJ)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07- 2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
Nomination.....
14-11- 2014
AOR Received.
------
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-11-2014
Med's Request
05-10-2015
Med's Done....
07-10- 2015 Ecas Medical have been received 14-10-2015
Interview........
04-10- 2015 (Updated PCC & FORMS)
Passport Req..
08-02 2016 Alhamdolilah
VISA ISSUED...
Passport submitted 11-02-2016 & received 15-03-2016 Alhamdolilah
LANDED..........
29-04-2016
Rossei said:
Like US, Canada allows Visitors to stay maximum for 6 months upon visa validity (or stay permit issued at POE) unless one applies for an extension. CIC introduced Super Visa for parents/grandparents (during PGP pause) with which they can stay maximum for 2 years unless it's restricted by POE officer or visa validity or one applies for an extension later.

Also, Super Visa is issued up to the expiry of your passport (maximum of 10 years). If your passport is only valid for 5 more years, you will get 5 years Super Visa.

Like others said, it's a multi-entry visit visa which means you can enter-exit Canada anytime you want (providing medical insurance each time you enter) and you are allowed to stay for a maximum of 2 years period unless POE officer writes otherwise.

In a nutshell, the only major difference in outcome is that your parents can stay for 2 years upon each entry instead of 6 months with Super Visa. The other noteworthy difference in applying for it is that it's little easier to get compared to visit visa.
One more thing in 10 years multiple entry super visa if parents had to exit at 2 years time cimpletion and then they re enter canada after a day or a month will they get 2 years stay again. bcoz only that way super visa will help parents to live with kids

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SAM_2014 said:
One more thing in 10 years multiple entry super visa if parents had to exit at 2 years time cimpletion and then they re enter canada after a day or a month will they get 2 years stay again. bcoz only that way super visa will help parents to live with kids
There is never any guarantee that they will be given 2 years, even on the first entry. It is entirely up to the CBSA officer on entry; many are given shorter stays.

The super visa is NOT a way to help parents live in Canada. It is a VISITOR visa that allows them the possibility of an extended stay.