+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

super visa and passport expiry issue

mb99

Apr 8, 2013
Hi ,
My mother is applying for super visa from Pakistan for the duration of 6 months between august 2014 -feb 2015.
Im a bit worried since her passport expiry date is december 2014.Although she has 1 and half year now when she is applying but her passport will expire 4 months after landing.Would Islambad's Canadian embassy issue multiple entry visa on that.

Also people are saying that multiple entry super visa are very risky for first timers .They should apply for single entry supervisa in order to get acceptance from visa officer.

Plz guide me ,these matters are totally new and confusing for me .I will be truly helpful for responses

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs to renew her passport before she applies for the super visa. Her passport should to be valid for at least six months when she enters Canada. She might also run into problems boarding her flight if she has less than six months validity on her passport. Also, if her passport expires December 2014, immigration will not let her stay in Canada beyond the validity of her passport.

There is no such thing as a single entry super visa. All super visas are multiple entry.

Regular visit visas come as single entry and multiple entry.

mb99

Apr 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.I really appreciate that I got a quick response that answered all querries.

Best Regards.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
scylla said:
She needs to renew her passport before she applies for the super visa. Her passport should to be valid for at least six months when she enters Canada. She might also run into problems boarding her flight if she has less than six months validity on her passport. Also, if her passport expires December 2014, immigration will not let her stay in Canada beyond the validity of her passport.

There is no such thing as a single entry super visa. All super visas are multiple entry.

Regular visit visas come as single entry and multiple entry.

Scylla, do you know if Canadian embassies issue 10-year super visas beyond validity of passport (expire in 4 years)? For example, I am Canadian PR and US consulate issued 10 year visa for me, they said I can use it even when I renew my passport in six years, just keep old passport and that's all.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please don't take this as gospel I am not an immigration expert but from other commentaries on this site our system in Canada is different than the U.S.A.
In the U.S.A. once a visa is issued it is valid beyond the original passports expiry date, in Canada they will not issue a visa beyond the passports expiry date. So if one is applying for a Super Visa you would want to renew your passport before applying to get the maximum time of the passport. Unfortunately many countries will only issue a passport for five years so even though got approved for a 10 year visa they can only use 5 years.

qaseemali

Oct 14, 2013
I also had my parents apply for a super visa. They got it, but only valid till my father's passport expiration date (although my mother's passport expiry was a year later).

I want to know that in case we wish to apply again after the expiration of the passport, will it help in the process having already attained a super visa previously or will the application process be treated as one for a fresh super visa? Can we include information about the previous visa and gain some benefit out of it?

We applied from Karachi Pakistan and ours was an online application.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I could be mistaken since I am not an immigration expert so I would advise you to check with Citizenship and Immigration Canada and post their reply on this blog.

My understanding is once the passport expires so does the Super Visa and you would have to reapply, that is what my clients have told me. Keep in mind I only deal with medical insurance. I would recommend that the passport be renewed prior to applying for a super visa. Keep in mind some super visa applications can take a long time I had clients wait for a year. I do not know how Citizenship and Immigration Canada would deal with situations if the passport expired during the application process, this would be an interesting question.

Ray_Of_Hope

Star Member
Nov 4, 2013
mb99 said:
Hi ,
My mother is applying for super visa from Pakistan for the duration of 6 months between august 2014 -feb 2015.
Im a bit worried since her passport expiry date is december 2014.Although she has 1 and half year now when she is applying but her passport will expire 4 months after landing.Would Islambad's Canadian embassy issue multiple entry visa on that.

Also people are saying that multiple entry super visa are very risky for first timers .They should apply for single entry supervisa in order to get acceptance from visa officer.

Plz guide me ,these matters are totally new and confusing for me .I will be truly helpful for responses
Yes, you are right. I have been through it. I am from the same place as you and had my visa rejected first time. Then I came to know some good things:
1. Your "Purpose of visit" and "Ties to home country" should be genuine, concrete, having document proof and aligned with what CIC requires.

I don't know how to write it properly, but I feel that there are many people who apply with just the approach of seeing the checklist, completing forms and paying the fees.
Whenever you are submitting, think that CIC:
- Doesn't not know you.
- CIC will not trust your mere words.
- Old people in Western world are a burden on a country's resources.

You should become the "genuine visitor" CIC requires you to be.

Let me give an example (just an example). My mother is a widow and my sister lives in Canada. So naturally, her "ties to Pakistan" were weak and my mother's visa was rejected due to the very reason. They thought, that as she is a widow and her daughter is in Canada she will not "Genuinely" visit Canada and may not come back.
Then I focused more on this. Showed other things. My bonds with my mother, explained my family situation in a cover letter. Since then my mother has successfully got the visa twice.

Super Visa and TRV is the same.

Good luck.

jackycool

Nov 5, 2013
HI, I NEED SUGGESTION PLEASE ABOUT SUPER VISA APPLYING FOR MY MOM.

I AM ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR MY MOM FOR SUPER VISA & I HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS READY. ONLY PROBLEM I AM FACING IT WHEN I CAME TO CANADA AND I GIVEN DATE OF BIRTH OF MY MOM DIFFERENT THEN FROM HER PASSPORT. WELL ITS LONG STORY HOW DATE OF BIRTH IS DIFFERENT IN MY FILE & IN MOMS PASSPORT. BUT I AM STUCK WITH THIS & I CANNOT FIX DATE OF BIRTH IN MOMS PASSPORT.

SO MY QUESTION IS SHOULD I GO AHEAD & APPLY SUPER VISA FOR MY MOM WITHOUT CHANGING DATE OF BIRTH IN MY IMMIGRATION FILE. THERE WOULD BE ANY PROBLEM?

OR SHOULD I TELL CANADIAN IMMIGRATION FIRST TO FIX MY MOMS DATE OF BIRTH IN MY FILE THEN APPLY IT?

SOME PEOPLE SAYS I SHOULD APPLY IT DOESN'T MATTER OF MOMS DATE OF BIRTH, BUT I DON'T WANNA MESS UP WITH MY IMMIGRATION BECAUSE NEXT YEAR I WANT TO APPLY FOR MY CITIZENSHIP ALSO. ONLY FEAR I AM HAVING IF I APPLY WITHOUT CHANGING DATE OF BIRTH THEN IT WOULD SEEMS LIKE LYING TO THEM & THEY WOULD GIVE ME PROBLEM GIVING SUPER VISA TO MY MOM & GIVE ME PROBLEM IN FUTURE FOR MY CITIZENSHIP.

PLEASE I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't believe there are any age restrictions for Super Visa Applicants so there is nothing preventing you from applying. On the issue of age I would use the age on the passport and provide an explanation is a letter why it is different from her real age. Honesty is the best policy. When the super visa is approved the document they use to issue the visa is the passport. I am not an immigration expert however there is nothing preventing you from contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada and ask them how to deal with this issue, I am sure there have been many other people that have faced a similar situations.

Good Luck

Another-Immigrant

Sep 13, 2014
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-09-2018
AOR Received.
03-12-2018
Hello All,

Found some useful information for super visa and passport expiry. Still i have question if any one can help

1. My mother is on super visa in Canada. She got Super visa only for 2 years because of her Passport validity was for 2 years. So while she is Canada, i have got her passport renewed for 10 years.

So now my question is how to get full 10 years of super visa for her, she has to reapply as fresh application ?
or
there is still 10 years's valid super visa sitting in CIC's system and we have to just send a new passport and CIC can extend?

Any idea?

I have also got her stay extended. But the problem with this extension is , it is only for two years , and she can not go out of country and come back.

I have already applied PR for her and unfortunately it is waiting since more than six years now. What a mess :(

Thanks in advance

MommyBear888

May 8, 2015
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2015
Doc's Request.
23-05-2015
Passport Req..
23-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2015
LANDED..........
12-01-2016
Another-Immigrant said:
Hello All,

Found some useful information for super visa and passport expiry. Still i have question if any one can help

1. My mother is on super visa in Canada. She got Super visa only for 2 years because of her Passport validity was for 2 years. So while she is Canada, i have got her passport renewed for 10 years.

So now my question is how to get full 10 years of super visa for her, she has to reapply as fresh application ?
or
there is still 10 years's valid super visa sitting in CIC's system and we have to just send a new passport and CIC can extend?

Any idea?

I have also got her stay extended. But the problem with this extension is , it is only for two years , and she can not go out of country and come back.

I have already applied PR for her and unfortunately it is waiting since more than six years now. What a mess :(

Thanks in advance
i think you should go through another application. that's why others here are renewing first the passport before applying because the expiry of the visa would be the same with the passport. unlike in US visa when the expiry is still 10 years eventhough the passport has only 2 years left before expiry. it's different in canada.