+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Summer Employment in another province

oeanblue200

Nov 27, 2017
Hello, I'm currently studying in Newfoundland for undergrad, but the job opportunities for international students are very slim. I was interested in possibly going to another province during the summer to work.
I just wanted to know if any or you have any experience doing this and how difficult it would be to apply for a summer job from another province and actually get the job? Any advice would be appreciated

stmani

Sep 18, 2011
Hi I presume you are studying in MUN. I'm applying for MBA fall 2018. Just would like to know about living expenses, rent and part time job condition. Thanks

ch987

Dec 9, 2017
i have a friend in Nova Scotia who was in the same situation. he had to try for 2-3 months but he got a job in Toronto. I will try to talk to him and get back to you.

Reactions: oeanblue200

oeanblue200

Nov 27, 2017
Hi I presume you are studying in MUN. I'm applying for MBA fall 2018. Just would like to know about living expenses, rent and part time job condition. Thanks
hey there, yes I'm at MUN. I'm renting a basement for 520 a month(utilities included) about 10 minutes walking distance away from campus but you can find a room for cheaper if you look for a place further away from campus. I can't really speak on part time jobs unfortunately. But there are always retail jobs available, I can't really speak about professional jobs . I'm assuming the job prospects might be better for a MBA student as you already have an undergrad degree. I pay $25 a month for my phone bill (prepaid, Bell), it's pretty basic but It's all I need, Bus pass is $78 per month. i pay about $100 every two weeks for groceries, but It would depend on how much need.. If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.

stmani

Sep 18, 2011
hey there, yes I'm at MUN. I'm renting a basement for 520 a month(utilities included) about 10 minutes walking distance away from campus but you can find a room for cheaper if you look for a place further away from campus. I can't really speak on part time jobs unfortunately. But there are always retail jobs available, I can't really speak about professional jobs . I'm assuming the job prospects might be better for a MBA student as you already have an undergrad degree. I pay $25 a month for my phone bill (prepaid, Bell), it's pretty basic but It's all I need, Bus pass is $78 per month. i pay about $100 every two weeks for groceries, but It would depend on how much need.. If you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.
Hi and really appreciate your response. I would like to know if retail jobs are available in NL then why would you like to travel other places to secure a job? Why don't you apply to the jobs available in your area?
Would you be able to advise if I come with my wife, will I be able to find a place in 600-700$ a month sufficient for both of us?
Thanks again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many Newfies were employed in oil and gas in either Newfoundland or Alberta so after the downturn many returned and are working in other jobs in Newfoundland so it may be more difficult to find a job. Most leases are a full year so unless you are able to find a subletter you will end up paying rent in NL and another province. Many students have a hard time finding a good summer job all over Canada so not sure if moving is a good option especially with all the associated costs that go along with moving. If you are able to secure a really good summer job in the industry you plan on working in I would consider it if you can afford it but that is easier said than done.

ch987

Dec 9, 2017
ok thanks, I would appreciate that
I did ask my friend and he did try for 2-3 months to get a summer job in Toronto. He suggested you apply way before like 4 5 months in advance. But he was looking for something in his field.
But entry level jobs like gas station clerks, retail assistants, fast food server are much easier.

oeanblue200

Nov 27, 2017
Hi and really appreciate your response. I would like to know if retail jobs are available in NL then why would you like to travel other places to secure a job? Why don't you apply to the jobs available in your area?
Would you be able to advise if I come with my wife, will I be able to find a place in 600-700$ a month sufficient for both of us?
Thanks again
I wanted to find work in my field. But if that's not an option I would just apply for retail jobs in the summer. I'm not sure as I only rent a room out of someones house, I'm not sure if you would be comfortable with that . https://www.stuaff.mun.ca/ochl this is a link to search for off campus housing, this might be helpful.

oeanblue200

Nov 27, 2017
I did ask my friend and he did try for 2-3 months to get a summer job in Toronto. He suggested you apply way before like 4 5 months in advance. But he was looking for something in his field.
But entry level jobs like gas station clerks, retail assistants, fast food server are much easier.
thanks. I'll start searching over Christmas break. But with those types of jobs(retail,etc) can I just work there for four months and leave?

oeanblue200

Nov 27, 2017
Many Newfies were employed in oil and gas in either Newfoundland or Alberta so after the downturn many returned and are working in other jobs in Newfoundland so it may be more difficult to find a job. Most leases are a full year so unless you are able to find a subletter you will end up paying rent in NL and another province. Many students have a hard time finding a good summer job all over Canada so not sure if moving is a good option especially with all the associated costs that go along with moving. If you are able to secure a really good summer job in the industry you plan on working in I would consider it if you can afford it but that is easier said than done.
thanks for the advice. I'm an economics major, but yeah because of the leasing issue my first choice would be to stay here,but I'm not confident will find anything as I applied to many places in st john's last summer and unfortunately was unsuccessful.