+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suitable program to start a small business in Canada

Oct 18, 2022
Hello experts, I am Portugeese citizen & running my own food chain in portugal.( www.picante.pt and www.meatandbun.pt) Planning to move in Canada & start one of my branch over their. I have finished my MBA from UK. Could you please suggest the best way to relocate in Canada. Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello experts, I am Portugeese citizen & running my own food chain in portugal.( www.picante.pt and www.meatandbun.pt) Planning to move in Canada & start one of my branch over their. I have finished my MBA from UK. Could you please suggest the best way to relocate in Canada. Thanks in advance
Star up visa. You need to find a designated organization to support your idea.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa.html

Reactions: mahabub.portugal

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If a restaurant then look at the province you want to open a branch and then check the PNP entrepreneur program for that province. You need a personal net wealth and be willing to put most of that in the business. You need to show job creation. FYI - restaurants in Canada are closing or on reduced hours, and many fast food chains just run drive thru because they can’t hire staff.

aldez

Apr 7, 2015
There are a few ways to relocate and it depends on what your goals are. For example you can get a work visa through the C11 route which is buying/establishing your business and then applying to run it. Or you can go the PR route and apply through a provincial entrepreneur program.

I wish there was an easy answer but generally its complicated and depends on your situation. Each path has advantages and disadvantages and it's best if you talk to someone who understands these paths about your goals.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
There are a few ways to relocate and it depends on what your goals are. For example you can get a work visa through the C11 route which is buying/establishing your business and then applying to run it. Or you can go the PR route and apply through a provincial entrepreneur program.

I wish there was an easy answer but generally its complicated and depends on your situation. Each path has advantages and disadvantages and it's best if you talk to someone who understands these paths about your goals.
Agree that it is best to talk to a business immigration lawyer or accountant. The C11 is more for technological/export industries, not for restaurants. C11 is to hire highly skilled Canadians.

Significant economic, social or cultural benefit
Indicators of “significant benefit” include
  • general economic stimulus (such as job creation, development in a regional or remote setting or expansion of export markets for Canadian products and services);
  • advancement of the Canadian industry (such as technological development, product or service innovation or differentiation or opportunities for improving the skills of Canadians).

franalmeida900

Star Member
Mar 16, 2023
Definitely a startup visa or business immigration pathway. Those are very difficult to navigate alone from my own experience so I do recommend working with a professional to connect you with the designated organizations and create the right business plan. If you’d like a couple of recommendations, let me know!

taradean

Apr 20, 2023
To relocate to Canada and start a business, you will need to apply for a startup visa or an entrepreneur visa, which requires you to have a viable business idea and sufficient funds to support it. You can also explore other immigration programs, such as the Express Entry program, if you meet the eligibility criteria. It is recommended that you consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer or consultant to determine the best path for your specific situation.
myGeorgiaSouthern Email

Last edited: