Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
Hi All!

Does anyone here have any idea about the Newly Landed Immigrant-friendly Canadian Banks that offer good deals in terms of Credit Card, Interest Rate, Loan and Fund Transfer? Any and every guidance in this regard would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Banks are continuously competing with each other with new products and services. When you are ready I would suggest you reach out to each of the major banks and see who offers you the best. They are RBC, TD, Scotia, BMO, CIBC. Good luck.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I am planning on getting an account at Tangerine. Unless you need physical locations.. online banks are the best option right now.

dentoosh

May 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-08-2017
Med's Done....
18-08-2017
I believe one must carefully select the bank for the simple reason that in future if you require a credit line/student loan for any graduate/post-graduate study, the bank should be generous enough to grant you one. The credit history helps you secure a loan so the bank should be chosen keeping these things in mind. Here, I'm just talking about the newly landed immigrants who want an academic diploma/degree to further hone their career skills.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
I got a Scene Visa with Scotiabank when I landed and it's helped build up my credit. I don't really use it for the benefits too much because we moved and don't have access to a movie with SCENE any more and they removed the SCENE program from Sportchek - so now I just use it and pay it off each month in full to keep my credit going up. I have yet to apply for another card but I'm sure all the banks will offer a newcomer program, just go into the branch and ask. I don't know about line of credit and stuff but I'd say your chances of getting one are slim with no credit history yet.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
I am planning on getting an account at Tangerine. Unless you need physical locations.. online banks are the best option right now.
For newcomers I don't think that opening an account with Tangerine makes sense. Larger banks offer free banking for at least 6 to 12 months and have special programs/perks for new comers. With Tangerine yes there are no fees but as a newcomer without Canadian income and credit you will find it impossible to qualify for their credit card. Tangerine also does not offer free cheques and you can't get drafts from them which may be needed for house rental for instance. As a newcomer having access to a physical branch can also come in handy instead of having to phone to try to explain your issues. Also building a relationship with a more established bank will be useful when your need go beyond simple day-to-day banking, such as getting a car loan or a mortgage.

Tangerine also does not do international wire transfers, but they may have introduced this option recently so not sure about that.

After one or two years in Canada then yes you can move to a no frills, online bank such as Tangerine or Simplii.

Reactions: dentoosh