+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suit case VS clear storage bin?

Loverbunnyx

Dec 30, 2012
In a couple of weeks, my Canadian boyfriend will be driving down to get me, then we'll make our way back over the border together. I'm hoping to stay for 6 months. I was wondering what they would think if I brought my belongings in clear storage bins VS suitcases. I'm HOPING they would appreciate it, since it would be easier for them to inspect. Has anyone tried this? Or have any thoughts on it? Thanks in advance!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
We can all look at the same thing and see something different. I must say the moment I read your post it made me wonder how on earth you would prove you had any intentions to return home? You are driving UP to Canada in your boyfriend's car, so either he has to drive you back or you need to go by bus or plane. The latter ways would not work with a bunch of Storage boxes. Telling the CBSA you packed for THEIR convenience sounds really odd. I think you are asking for trouble.

Loverbunnyx

Dec 30, 2012
Pippin said:
We can all look at the same thing and see something different. I must say the moment I read your post it made me wonder how on earth you would prove you had any intentions to return home? You are driving UP to Canada in your boyfriend's car, so either he has to drive you back or you need to go by bus or plane. The latter ways would not work with a bunch of Storage boxes. Telling the CBSA you packed for THEIR convenience sounds really odd. I think you are asking for trouble.
I can see your concerns. I'm not confident in my cars ability to make it to Canada, and I'm also not very familiar with the rules of bringing a vehicle there. I normally fly by plane for this reason, but given the duration of my trip, I'm going to be bringing more clothes/personal belongings than if I were to visit for 2 weeks. So my boyfriend coming to get me is the only decent option I can come up with. Also, I heard that if a Canadian citizen crosses the border with you, it can make it a bit easier if you're wanting to stay for an extended amount of time. Really the storage bins would be a help to me as well, because I don't own a plethora of suitcases, and I would say that the bins would cost far less than to buy more suitcases. Figured it could be a potential "win/win" situation, but I guess I will rethink my theories and try to come up with something better :). Thanks for your input!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would bring suitcases. Visitors don't come with storage bins.

If you don't have any - maybe your boyfriend can bring one down when he comes with his car?