+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suggestions needed- When to change legal name

Kikilala

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
I was planning to change my legal name before I renew my PR card, but since the processing time for PR card is longer than normal so now I decided to send the PR card application first

If I change my name during the process, can I use the web form to notify IRCC of the changes? Will that slow down the process?

Or is it better to change my legal name before I apply for citizenship/next PR card renewal in the future?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was planning to change my legal name before I renew my PR card, but since the processing time for PR card is longer than normal so now I decided to send the PR card application first

If I change my name during the process, can I use the web form to notify IRCC of the changes? Will that slow down the process?

Or is it better to change my legal name before I apply for citizenship/next PR card renewal in the future?
You are going to need to update your name so there was no point applying for a PR card now unless you need to leave Canada. The wait times are long since they have stopped processing PR cards.