+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sufficient funds at the border and opening a bank account on a tourist visa

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
I am arriving in canada from the UK in 2017 to be married to a canadian citizen and applying for PR through the spousal visa program. one of my anxieties is the arrival itself. at the border i understand that i need to demonstrate that i have sufficient fund to stay, an itinerary, a place to stay and a return flight as well as proof of permanent ties in the UK. all the information needed to assure the IO that i am arriving in canada as a tourist and intend to leave on the return flight shown. i would like to tell the truth, that i am arriving to be married and be welcomed in, but i understand that this is not what the IO wants to hear. it is a serious flaw in the system but my partner and I cannot be apart any longer.

1) for those of you who have followed a similar route what were your experiences of the arrival and what evidence were you required to produce?

2) are there any guideline figures that would tell me how much i would need and in what format, to fund a stay of, say, 3 months with a return flight at the end of that time? I have enough in my uk account to cover an extended stay of much longer. i have a credit card, a moneycorp explorer card which i can load with funds in lieu of traveller's cheques and bank statements from my uk account which will demonstrate this.

3) my partner and i would also like to open a joint account as soon as possible when i arrive. this will mean i can transfer funds from the UK to a canadian account during my stay. otherwise accessing funds is going to be an unnecessary cost. can i open a canadian bank account as a tourist when i get there? what documents would i need to do this? the joint account, ie a combining of finances and mutual dependency, i understand will form part of the supporting evidence that the relationship is genuine, which it very much is.

merry christmas to you all. may 2017 bring us all closer together with our loved ones. good luck with your applications.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
amouresansfrontieres said:
I am arriving in canada from the UK in 2017 to be married to a canadian citizen and applying for PR through the spousal visa program. one of my anxieties is the arrival itself. at the border i understand that i need to demonstrate that i have sufficient fund to stay, an itinerary, a place to stay and a return flight as well as proof of permanent ties in the UK. all the information needed to assure the IO that i am arriving in canada as a tourist and intend to leave on the return flight shown. i would like to tell the truth, that i am arriving to be married and be welcomed in, but i understand that this is not what the IO wants to hear. it is a serious flaw in the system but my partner and I cannot be apart any longer.
Never. Ever. Lie. At. The. Border.

If they find out - go through your things and find proof, or question you extensively and your story falls apart, they can ban you from Canada for a year.

Going to Canada to get married is perfectly legitimate. It's fine. Going to Canada and lying about it is a really, really, really bad idea.

Take proof of ties to home and a return flight by all means as proof that you can leave/will leave if you need to, but please don't lie to CBSA. If you do and your g/f is already banned from Britain (as you've implied elsewhere), you will be kept very apart for quite some time.

Dec 12, 2016
The good news is, you don't have to lie.
You have to convince the officer that the "tourist" part of your dual intent is legit.
"Refusals do not stem from having two intents. They stem from having a single bona fide intent (i.e., to become a permanent resident) and misrepresenting the second intent (i.e., to become a temporary resident) in order to achieve the first intent."
You can read more about dual intent at: 3 double u cic dot gc dot ca slash english slash resources slash tools slash temp slash visa slash dual dot asp

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
thank you.

1) i am arriving as a tourist with the intent of being married and applying for PR through the spousal visa program
2) i have a return flight and sufficient funds to cover that time period. i would ideally like this time period to be 6 months.
3) i intend to extend the visa to allow for the time it takes for the PR application to be processed once the marriage takes place and the application is initiated. this i understand from other posts is entirely acceptable. again, i have sufficient funds. i have about $25,000. its my life savings.

4) i intend to leave if the application for an extension is refused. i do not wish to break any laws and i want to tell the truth.

5) i do not have property in the UK. i am currently renting. the tenancy will be terminated when i leave for canada.
6) I have a business in the UK. i am self employed (sole trader) i will effectively be putting that work on hold for the duration of the stay in canada.
7) i have family in the UK.

i just don't see how i can convince an immigration officer that i intend to leave on the return flight if my intention is to apply for PR and extend the stay until PR is granted.

it doesn't make sense.

i need to know what is going to happen when i arrive. it is the uncertainty, that is causing me the anxiety.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
amouresansfrontieres said:
i need to know what is going to happen when i arrive. it is the uncertainty, that is causing me the anxiety.
it is impossible for ANYONE on here to tell you what will happen when you arrive. this is solely dependant on the visa officer who greets you on arrival.

do NOT offer up information about extending your stay or your lease being terminated when you left. these can be seen as red flags and can prompt secondary review. let them ask you specifically about these things. while you don't want to lie to CBSA, you certainly do not need to tell them every single piece of your plan while you stay in canada UNLESS they specifically ask you about it. the fact you have a return ticket will suggest to CBSA you understand the rules and you don't have intentions to stay beyond your allowed time. keep your answers short and don't elaborate unless they specifically ask your plans.