+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Suffered from Husband: Violence, attempted murder, pregnant; I want divorce and have baby in Canada

FlyinAngelBud

Dec 18, 2017
Can I have my baby in Canada? How? What forms or what do I do? Who do I contact? What will protect me and my baby from him in the USA? How can I get financial help, medical or sanctuary in Canada? Do I flee to a DV shelter there, or what can I do to survive and have baby safe?

HI all, I've done some research on immigration but come up empty handed in my own case questions. I have to flee the USA from abusive and violent Husband. I was able to get 1 state away from him at 3 months pregnant. I am now 23 wks PG with his child. He is hunting me down to finish what he promised: my death for leaving him and speaking out against him because he is abusive and violent with me. He has tracked me down in my new state and promises he will succeed in taking my baby and murdering me as he says "Murder is so easy, and I want you dead."

I barely escaped him with some clothes and my baby within. Strangers helped me as far as they could, 1 state away and I now am in a Domestic Violence Survivor shelter. Not great, but better than cold streets. I have less than nothing....no friends, no family, no money, nothing but my will to protect my baby and for us to survive. If I stay in USA, the courts favor children to have parental time with their abusive Fathers if Mothers are given custody. This cannot happen. He has a track record of child molestation, incest with his sister (she had 2 kids while they did this), and abuse and violence on me. Trouble is, he's never been caught, nothing is documented, nothing on records anywhere. He is a compulsive liar and VERY sweetly person to all he meets. Everyone I have told about what he does behind closed doors says "Oh, but he's too sweet for that." So, no law, no friends or family believed me. I need help bad to save my innocent baby within, I need to live, any suggestions?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
What country are you a citizen of?

You're going to have a hard time getting sanctuary in Canada because of an abusive husband. In the US, I would suggest you seek out a women's shelter. They can help you with getting stabilized and back on your feet. Some will even connect you to legal aid. As for the threats, do you have any proof (emails, texts, etc) that proves any of the claims? That will help you build a case against him and will allow law enforcement to address the situation.

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree. The US has a system in place to protect women who experience domestic violence and court system that is not corrupt so you would have no way to stay in Canada unless you applied to immigrate or got a study permit. I would suggest that you try to connect with a domestic violence network that may be able to relocate to a state across the country.

Reactions: mgnlky and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the above comments. If you are Canadian, then you can by all means come to Canada and have your baby here - nothing stopping you from doing that.

Otherwise Canada really isn't an option. You need to seek help in the US and get the police involved. The shelter you are in now should be able to assist you with resources and next steps to protect yourself in the US.

Childbirth in Canada is extremely expensive if you are not Canadian. You would have to pay for all of the care out of your own pocket and costs can easily go above ten thousand if you need a c-section (far more if there are other complications). Additionally, having a baby in Canada would not allow you to stay here or live here. You would still only be in Canada as a visitor and would eventually have to leave and return home to the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Adding to the above - Canada does have a number of economic immigration program you can investigate - but none of them will get you to Canada in time for the child's birth. You need to focus on finding the best way to have the child in the US.

If you wish to look into immigrating to Canada once the child is born, you'll need to research the link below (Canada has a number of different economic immigration options). You'll need to have at least one year of work experience (likely skilled) to qualify. Many of Canada's economic immigration programs are also points-based, meaning those with the most points for their level of education, work experience, language abilities, etc. are selected first. More details here:

hhttps://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.htmlttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp