AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
simb said:
thats sad.

you mean to say that you paid $4000 to them as a bond that your husband will be back in 3months ? ? ?
that is so rude of the cbsa
well. if its just the fbi clearance you are waiting for then no need to wait just send in your application and when it reached VO you can send the fbi clearance that time as well. as everybody knows that fbi does take longer time.
seriously I would have never expected cbsa would be so so rude to the people.
I am sorry for you guys. But atleast you both are together
Yep. We get the money back when he returns to the border but it was a hit for us financially. I certainly didn't expect them to be so harsh either... it was just awful.

Are you sure we can send the app without the FBI clearance? How do I get it matched up with the rest of our app if I send it later?

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
We didnt' sent in the FBI with our application since it took so long and we wanted to get in queue. We got sponsorship approval without it and we sent it after we got approval. I just got an email from Ottawa saying they've received the documents today and they've been added to our file. There's lots of us who sent in the FBI later on in the process.

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
Belinasha said:
We didnt' sent in the FBI with our application since it took so long and we wanted to get in queue. We got sponsorship approval without it and we sent it after we got approval. I just got an email from Ottawa saying they've received the documents today and they've been added to our file. There's lots of us who sent in the FBI later on in the process.
Are you applying Outland? I'd read that you could only send documents after the fact if you were Inland applying.

Belinasha

Star Member
Nov 3, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
Doc's Request.
14-09-2012 - New FBI needed - 120 days to submit - then told disregard request
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
29-05-2012 to LA
Med's Request
Meds received 29-05-2012; Medical extension received 16-10-2012
Med's Done....
27-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-01-2013 received at LA 08-01-2013 ; Decision Made 1-17-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-2013 sent to wrong address; 13-02-2013 LA replied new COPR sent to correct address; 21-02-2013 COPR arrives in mail at new address
LANDED..........
22-02-2013....FINALLY after almost 1 full year since applying
Yes, we applied outland.

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
Oh wow, that's good to know! I think I'll wait out this week then and if it hasn't arrived by the weekend, I'll send it next Monday without the FBI clearance. I want to make absolutely certain it gets there at least a week before he has to go back to the border.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
even we have applied outland.. we will also be sending our fbi clearance report once i get it.. earlier one got expired like past 3months.
whenever you get your fbi just send in that one written on your file number and uci like that .. so that they get to know the document is related to your file

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
simb said:
even we have applied outland.. we will also be sending our fbi clearance report once i get it.. earlier one got expired like past 3months.
whenever you get your fbi just send in that one written on your file number and uci like that .. so that they get to know the document is related to your file
We actually have a copy of an FBI clearance that expired back in March (he'd applied for it in December and it somehow slipped past us that it's only good for 3 months). Should I include that with a note saying that we know it's expired, a valid one will be coming soon but this is the best we have at this time to show he's clean? Or do you think it's better to just leave it alone and send the valid one when it arrives?

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kandc said:
Wow. If only we could have been so lucky. My husband and I drove up from Florida together and they wouldn't let him through at the border despite having our marriage certificate, receipt of payment for application fees and our almost entirely completed application with us. He essentially told us how dare we try to cross the border without having SENT our application already and without solid proof (such as a letter of employment or from a landlord) that my husband would return to the US. My husband is a freelance musician... he doesn't have solid, full time employment and he was living with his mother (we did have a letter from her stating that the majority of his belongings were still in Florida) at the time. They bascially told us that's not their problem, we should know better than to try to cross the border with such insufficient evidence and how "disappointed" they were that we couldn't follow protocol (??? he was coming for a visit... he wasn't trying to move).

We were there for hours while they searched his van, luggage, computer and questioned him about his life in the US until they finally offered to let us through if we paid a $4000 bond, and only for 3 months during which time our application MUST be sent. My husband has to return to the border crossing August 7th with proof that our app has been filed, at which point they will decide whether or not he can stay. We're still waiting going on 8 weeks for his FBI clearance and I'm terrified it won't get here and we won't be able to send the on time without it :(

Your story was great and I wish that could happen to all of us, but to people getting their hopes up PLEASE be warned that it can go very, very differently. Showing you have ties to the US is apparently very important to the border officials coming through Ogdensburg.
I am very sorry to have heard this. This yet again is a prime example of border crossings and IOs are all different. That is just rediculous. I hope your FBI comes in soon or if you can just send the app without it despite it delaying the app process just by a little. :/

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
kandc said:
We actually have a copy of an FBI clearance that expired back in March (he'd applied for it in December and it somehow slipped past us that it's only good for 3 months). Should I include that with a note saying that we know it's expired, a valid one will be coming soon but this is the best we have at this time to show he's clean? Or do you think it's better to just leave it alone and send the valid one when it arrives?
i would say. attach the expired one so they would get to know that atleast you have one (other reason would be they would get to know your spouse has no criminal history)
atleast something is better than nothing. and as canada and america share the information with each other may be that would make the visa officer think that the expired one will be alright for now.
so go ahead and attach that

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
LovingMyCanuck said:
I am very sorry to have heard this. This yet again is a prime example of border crossings and IOs are all different. That is just rediculous. I hope your FBI comes in soon or if you can just send the app without it despite it delaying the app process just by a little. :/
I've decided I'm sending the app on Monday, FBI clearance included or not. I'm not taking a chance of it not getting there on time, getting lost with no time to resend it, etc. and it would be nice to show the border agents that it was sent a couple weeks prior to the deadline they gave us as opposed to two days before. I'd rather add a few weeks to our wait time than have my hubby sent back to the US... after 3 years of waiting to be together I can't even bear the thought :(

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
simb said:
i would say. attach the expired one so they would get to know that atleast you have one (other reason would be they would get to know your spouse has no criminal history)
atleast something is better than nothing. and as canada and america share the information with each other may be that would make the visa officer think that the expired one will be alright for now.
so go ahead and attach that
Thank you for the advice. I will do that and keep my fingers crossed that the new one doesn't take much longer to arrive.

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kandc said:
I've decided I'm sending the app on Monday, FBI clearance included or not. I'm not taking a chance of it not getting there on time, getting lost with no time to resend it, etc. and it would be nice to show the border agents that it was sent a couple weeks prior to the deadline they gave us as opposed to two days before. I'd rather add a few weeks to our wait time than have my hubby sent back to the US... after 3 years of waiting to be together I can't even bear the thought :(
I hope you the best of luck and when you go back to the border that you guys will get a more understanding IO.