+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Success story - Crossing the border before submitting spousal application

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is my story. I wanted to share this with everyone who was in the same situation as me. I am the American, my husband is the Canadian. Enjoy!

I flew from California to Montana, where I landed 2 hours from the Alberta border. While I was flying and such, my husband was driving down to Montana where we reserved a hotel, because I would be landing in Montana late. Anyways, he went through the border like a breeze as usual. The US Customs asked him two question: 1) How long was his visit? (2 days) 2) Does he have a job? (yes)

Now going back up to the border was the more scary part. We had this whole "script" for my husband to say. And proofs as well, as in: 1) Marriage Ceritifcate 2) Fees of Application paid 3) Letter from my in law 4) Rough draft of filled out application.

So when we were finally at the border, the window officer asked: 1) (To husband) How long was your visit 2) (To me) How long did I visit Canada the last time. He was about to just shoo us in with no paperwork (Visitor's record, for exempt countries). However my husband remembered me telling him that if we do not receive the Visitor's Record, he should ask to see the Visa Officer, however my husband went on about it hilariously.

He started saying all the scripted words to the window officer going, "Uhhhhh...my wife and I are newly married and I would like..." I was laughing silently interrupting him going, "What my husband is trying to say is we would like to speak to the visa officer to request a Visitor's record. He didn't ask why, he had us park and we went in. The Visa officer was joking around. What a change from the stone faced border officials! Anyways, the officer asked us for our marriage certificate. And that was the only proof, the only questions he asked me was 1) Criminal history 2) If I was bringing anything illegal 3) Did we start our application yet 4) Do I understand the terms of the Visitor's Record (Can not work, Can not go to school, etc) and then he added, "All because you can't work doesn't mean you can't clean the dishes." Haha!

I received a 2 yr Visitor's record. It was such a breeze, they did not even check my luggage or our car. We could have brought some drugs in and we would have been fine lol.

My Tips:

1) Prepare, prepare, prepare. All because I was only asked for my marriage certificate does not mean they won't ask you for anything else. Over prepare.

2) Whoever said your significant other needed to vouch for you and that the "visitor" needed to stay quiet was wrong. I was dreading to jump in when my husband struggled, but it did not affect us negatively.

3) No one asked me for proof of ties. This one is still a debating factor as is this required? I would say no. What is the point of issuing Visitor's records to spouses who are in the process of sponsorship and expecting ties? Some people told me that it's to show them you'll leave at the end of the visa/Visitor's record, however I feel like this is unnecessary. My reason is what is the point when you are already intending to live there. Yes, one of the rules to visit Canada is to have ties to your country, but I think this is swept under the rug.

4) Choose your port of entry wisely. Look at it this way, if you are going through a busy / hard cracking border like B.C you are probably going to run into more a*sh*le officers. Ditto with airports. My husband and I have gone through the same Alberta border before and was let in very easily the first time (before we were married). However things changed once we entered the airports. Edmonton International Airport, from what I read was a hard cracking airport. I've been denied entry there and so has many people that I spoke to. Some may have been let in, some may have not. Hence, (Read #5)

5) Everyones' situation is different and every border agents are different. Research and work off of my story and others, but in the end work with what you have.

figlove2010

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CAN'T WAIT:) *cross fingers*
Do you think i can do the same if traveling from a visa exempt country into pearson airport....? would i be able to as for a visitor record?

figlove2010

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
oo my i was soo excited that you got through...been waiting to hear a success story like yours....Anyho, totally forgot to congratulate you on your entry....how rude of me......CONGRATSSSS .... im planning on visiting my hubby soon for 2 weeks and im extremely nervous that i would be denied entry...

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
through pearson airport ?
figlove2010 said:
oo my i was soo excited that you got through...been waiting to hear a success story like yours....Anyho, totally forgot to congratulate you on your entry....how rude of me......CONGRATSSSS .... im planning on visiting my hubby soon for 2 weeks and im extremely nervous that i would be denied entry...

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
So glad you shared!! I like these stories, boarder crossings make me nervous. Where exactly did you cross in Alberta/Montana?

ccunnington

Nov 19, 2011
Sincelejo, Colombia
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2012
AOR Received.
19-06-2012 (Mississauga). 06-11-2012 (Bogota).
File Transfer...
11-07-2012
Med's Done....
10-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
Some of the smaller border crossings have much nicer agents...crossed several times at Kingsgate in BC, and never had a rude or obnoxious officer

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
figlove2010 said:
Do you think i can do the same if traveling from a visa exempt country into pearson airport....? would i be able to as for a visitor record?
I don't know how Pearson airport is, but the way I look at airports are they are more strict. This is just my experience. Will you be entering with your husband?

Sunshine87 said:
So glad you shared!! I like these stories, boarder crossings make me nervous. Where exactly did you cross in Alberta/Montana?
I crossed through Carway, not busy at all.

ccunnington said:
Some of the smaller border crossings have much nicer agents...crossed several times at Kingsgate in BC, and never had a rude or obnoxious officer
I 100% agree!

simb said:
wow.. good. atlast you entered canada without any trouble
Yup :) will you be crossing soon?

figlove2010

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nope, its too costly for him to fly here and both of us to fly up together..:( but he will be at the airport waiting for me:)

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
yes.
thinking through pearson airport. that is the nearest one for my hubby.
but will wait for another month or two

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well the way that I look at it is, I don't think you two @fig @simb should be worried at all. As long as you guys are telling the truth. However @fig, I don't know how your situation will be, withouth your husband. You can always tell them that he's waiting for you right now and they can speak to him to prove you two are married (with a marriage certificate) or you can do what I did. Find the nearest airport by the Canadian border and have him drive down?

lioha

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LovingMyCanuck

Thanks for sharing the story. My wife got already refused entrance once in Montreal's airport. I was with her and it was not funny at all, the agents were super strict and not willing to understand that they are braking our lives but not letting us stay together.

I have a question/clarification. Did you already apply for immigration when entering this time? Or wanted to apply inland and just had the paperwork ready? How did you get a two years entry, isn't it 6 months maximum? Or am I missing something?

I am really thinking of trying to bring in my wife into Canada again. We have applied outland, but it is sooooo long. My wife is crying almost every day as she feels abandoned.

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey it's okay, I have been there and it was a bad experience as well. Here was my situation, I got refused once and almost again (both times through customs at the airport). My hubby and I have had a success through the land crossings once so we took our chance. And no we haven't even sent in our application yet. The officer thought since we haven't sent in our application yet that he would give us a 2 years visitors visa. He gave us some time to work on our application and also wait out. I don't know if I was lucky, we weren't interrogated or anything. I have a feeling the Quebec side of Canada is a little bit strict and I would travel through a border by land in another province. Just be careful, prepared, and very honest. Show proof that you two are married (Marriage certificate) and a receipt that you already paid for the application. If you can ... Copies of your applications are awesome too. Any More questions I will try to help:)

kandc

Star Member
Nov 2, 2011
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Passport Req..
26-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2013
Wow. If only we could have been so lucky. My husband and I drove up from Florida together and they wouldn't let him through at the border despite having our marriage certificate, receipt of payment for application fees and our almost entirely completed application with us. He essentially told us how dare we try to cross the border without having SENT our application already and without solid proof (such as a letter of employment or from a landlord) that my husband would return to the US. My husband is a freelance musician... he doesn't have solid, full time employment and he was living with his mother (we did have a letter from her stating that the majority of his belongings were still in Florida) at the time. They bascially told us that's not their problem, we should know better than to try to cross the border with such insufficient evidence and how "disappointed" they were that we couldn't follow protocol (??? he was coming for a visit... he wasn't trying to move).

We were there for hours while they searched his van, luggage, computer and questioned him about his life in the US until they finally offered to let us through if we paid a $4000 bond, and only for 3 months during which time our application MUST be sent. My husband has to return to the border crossing August 7th with proof that our app has been filed, at which point they will decide whether or not he can stay. We're still waiting going on 8 weeks for his FBI clearance and I'm terrified it won't get here and we won't be able to send the on time without it :(

Your story was great and I wish that could happen to all of us, but to people getting their hopes up PLEASE be warned that it can go very, very differently. Showing you have ties to the US is apparently very important to the border officials coming through Ogdensburg.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
kandc said:
Wow. If only we could have been so lucky. My husband and I drove up from Florida together and they wouldn't let him through at the border despite having our marriage certificate, receipt of payment for application fees and our almost entirely completed application with us. He essentially told us how dare we try to cross the border without having SENT our application already and without solid proof (such as a letter of employment or from a landlord) that my husband would return to the US. My husband is a freelance musician... he doesn't have solid, full time employment and he was living with his mother (we did have a letter from her stating that the majority of his belongings were still in Florida) at the time. They bascially told us that's not their problem, we should know better than to try to cross the border with such insufficient evidence and how "disappointed" they were that we couldn't follow protocol (??? he was coming for a visit... he wasn't trying to move).

We were there for hours while they searched his van, luggage, computer and questioned him about his life in the US until they finally offered to let us through if we paid a $4000 bond, and only for 3 months during which time our application MUST be sent. My husband has to return to the border crossing August 7th with proof that our app has been filed, at which point they will decide whether or not he can stay. We're still waiting going on 8 weeks for his FBI clearance and I'm terrified it won't get here and we won't be able to send the on time without it :(

Your story was great and I wish that could happen to all of us, but to people getting their hopes up PLEASE be warned that it can go very, very differently. Showing you have ties to the US is apparently very important to the border officials coming through Ogdensburg.
thats sad.

you mean to say that you paid $4000 to them as a bond that your husband will be back in 3months ? ? ?
that is so rude of the cbsa
well. if its just the fbi clearance you are waiting for then no need to wait just send in your application and when it reached VO you can send the fbi clearance that time as well. as everybody knows that fbi does take longer time.
seriously I would have never expected cbsa would be so so rude to the people.
I am sorry for you guys. But atleast you both are together