+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Submitting Passport while in Canada

Jun 8, 2016
Hi

I am currently in Canada. I came on a work permit and applied for an extension past my expiry date. Currently I have temporary residence status but no permit (study or work). Based on my immigration consultant I applied to India (instead of Canada) since my work permit had expired when I applied. I have received a letter requesting me to submit my passport for final decision.

The submit link asks that I send to VAC in India. However, as I mentioned I am in Canada and hesitate to send the passport to India since I will be left with no travel documents. Also I am not sure whether I will receive the passport after stamping back to my Canadian or Indian residence. This is especially concerning in case I am asked to appear for an interview in India.

I also see that for people in Canada, the passports are sent to US. I am interested if I can request to send my passport to the US since the process involves having a Canada Post return envelope included, unlike the Indian VAC process which is not clear about returning to outside of India.

Any one have similar experience or any inputs in the meanwhile?

I plan to call CIC on Monday.